Adding nutmeg seeds and cinnamon sticks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
I am about to add cinnamon sticks and nutmeg seeds to my 5 gallon of Xmas beer I brewed. Should I transfer to a secondary or just drop them in the carboy? And why does it matter either way?

Is your beer done fermenting? You really don't want to add them until your beer has been at FG for a week. If so, yea, you can go to secondary or toss them right into the primary. I might break up the cinnamon stick for better extraction though. Remember: it is ALWAYS better to under-spice than to over spice (which is amazingly easy to do).

daksin said:
Is your beer done fermenting? You really don't want to add them until your beer has been at FG for a week. If so, yea, you can go to secondary or toss them right into the primary. I might break up the cinnamon stick for better extraction though. Remember: it is ALWAYS better to under-spice than to over spice (which is amazingly easy to do).

+1. The aroma you get from dry hopping will get blow out if primary is still going on. And definately double check amounts for spices.

+1. The aroma you get from dry hopping will get blow out if primary is still going on. And definately double check amounts for spices.

+2 I would do a tablespoon of each at the most for a 5 gallon batch. I misread a recipe this past fall for a pumpkin ale and instead of adding a teaspoon of cloves added a tablespoon (maybe 2 tablespoons forget now). It wasn't bad, but the cloves dominated any other taste.

Funny thing I left it basically for dead for two months, I put that mini keg in my fridge accidentally thinking it was a different brew, and to my amazement tasted amazing! Nothing new many people have done this practice, so if you do happen to overspice just let it condition for a month or two and it will greatly diminish.

never used the seeds but i only ever threw in one cinnamon stick for dry hopping my christmas ales. did you add spices in the boil too?

Hmmmm. Nutmeg and cinnamon, sounds like an apple pie ale. The cinnamon I have added to the boil @15 min. (2ea. 4" sticks) and I can't recall if nutmeg is a hard shell seed, if so you need to crush it. Maybe boil a cup of water to eliminate the chance of contamination add one or two sticks and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. nutmeg let cool and add it to the primary. I dry hop in primary as long as the fermentation is done, generally speaking around 3 wks. & add whatever for 5-7 days. The spices can be tricky. Cheers

Make a tea from them in a pint of water on the stovetop, chop up the nutmeg and add them to the water and boil for 20 minutes until half the water is boiled away then strain and add to the beer.

Back