Adding mint to a chocolate stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this and what was the outcome...i was pondering wacky ideas and this popped up. It sounds great in theory but i need confirmation.

Peppermint tea. It's just dried peppermint leaves. I did a porter and added 10 bags to the end of the boil and steeped the other 10 in vodka. Added to taste when bottling.

I just did this with a high quality mint extract I got from a local spice shop. I was going to make my own extract by steeping fresh peppermint in vodka but figured I may as well purchase the same thing that someone else did more professionally. I found that one drop in 150ml resulted in a light mint presence. I was doing a 3.5gal batch so I scaled it up, 80 drops went into the bottling bucket immediately before bottling.

It tasted great then, I'm expecting good things when it comes time to drink it.

I thought about going the tea route too but thought extract would allow me to be more exact, plus alcohol is a better solvent than water.

I seem to recall having a "minted" beer at the Dogfish Head Alehouse.

It was not unlike drinking cold medicine.

here's the chocolate mint i made

http://www.buriedcastle.com/beer/mossy-mire

this is a extract+grains recipe. i used fresh mint very late in the boil and continued into the primary then added spearmint and peppermint extracts to taste at bottling time. i was hoping for a sweeter chocolate flavor but otherwise not disappointed in the results.

I tried posting from the ipad app, but i don't know what happened, so if two copies show up, i'm sorry.

I made an extract + specialty grains chocolate mint stout. It was at my roommate's request because those are his two favorite flavors in general. I couldn't find a recipe and made my own up.

I added fresh mint (in a bag) late in the boil and left it in the primary. At bottling time I added some mint and peppermint extract to flavor. I was hoping for a sweeter chocolate taste, but otherwise was happy with the results.

http://www.buriedcastle.com/beer/mossy-mire

I just did this with a high quality mint extract I got from a local spice shop. I was going to make my own extract by steeping fresh peppermint in vodka but figured I may as well purchase the same thing that someone else did more professionally. I found that one drop in 150ml resulted in a light mint presence. I was doing a 3.5gal batch so I scaled it up, 80 drops went into the bottling bucket immediately before bottling.

It tasted great then, I'm expecting good things when it comes time to drink it.

I thought about going the tea route too but thought extract would allow me to be more exact, plus alcohol is a better solvent than water.

Can you recall which brand of extract you used? I plan on doing this in the near future. I picked up a dram of LorAnn Oil' creme de menthe extract (it's made with alcohol, so it's water soluble) to stick into a chocolate stout.

I've brewed my chocolate mint stout a few times. I used peppermint extract the first time but found it overpowering. I have since swapped to peppermint tea bags. I use 10 in the boil at the last 10 minutes for a 5 gallon batch, and a "dry hop" of an additional 10 bags at kegging. Works great. My recipe is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/andes-mint-chocolate-stout-207277/

Can you recall which brand of extract you used? I plan on doing this in the near future. I picked up a dram of LorAnn Oil' creme de menthe extract (it's made with alcohol, so it's water soluble) to stick into a chocolate stout.

It's not branded, the spice shop I go to doesn't have any brands at all.

Latest posts

Back