adding mango to an American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
I have an American wheat that is finishing up fermentation that I want to add mango to. I have already cut up and skinned the mangos and put the in the freezer. I've done some Google searching about using a juicer and just adding the juice to the beer. I couldn't find anything about this exact thing on my phone so I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this. Just wondering if it would be better to just add the whole pieces like usual or if adding the juice sounds like it could produce a decent beer? Anyone with experience doing this?

I did one with mango puree,
You lose a lot of beer to dregs.
Mango flavor is there but very subtle...
Mangoes are high on fermentables so your ABV goes up a little..
Juice may reduce waste.
I'm not sure cubes will as mango disintegrates easily...
Even though mango flavor was not the greatest, it was a BIG HIT with girls...

If I miss something, please feel free to ask.
HTH

I haven't read about mango specifically, but I've seen people do other fruits both as whole chucks and as juice.

FWIW I had a mango IPA recently that was delicious, and now I really want a mango wheat.

I'm thinking about adding the juice to the keg and then racking on top of the juice or adding it to the fermentor, by the way. If I add to the fermenter do you think I should move to secondary? I was thinking it would be okay. But this is new territory for me.

Back