Adding lemon flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
I would like to add a a litle lemon flavor to a Weizenbier. I was going to add zest from a lemon to the keg before racking the beer into the keg. Any advise on doing it? Like how much zest?
Thanks
ToBrew

Might even try lemongrass.

I brewed a ginger lemongrass ale for the other half and it did give it a soft lemon undertone to the beer. The ginger in this one is the dominant flavor but i would like to try the lemongrass in a another beer to see how the flavor comes out alone.

Just throwing it out there.

I made a lemongrass wheat last night. I just threw 1oz of dried lemongrass in at 0 mins and will leave in through primary. The key is to put it in a muslin bag, otherwise it will be difficult when racking to secondary.

True Lemon is a good product and should work nicely. I haven't tried it in beer but I use the product all the time. No weird or artificial tastes.

I used zest from one lemon in a weiss recently and it didn't have any lemon flavor what-so-ever.

Use more than one lemon if your using zest. and don't get any pith in there. Also if you're kegging it I would put it in a hop ball or muslin bag so you dont clog your lines.

Might even try lemongrass.

I brewed a ginger lemongrass ale for the other half and it did give it a soft lemon undertone to the beer. The ginger in this one is the dominant flavor but i would like to try the lemongrass in a another beer to see how the flavor comes out alone.

Just throwing it out there.

Sorry to hyjack.... is that the one from Austin Homebrew? Because the wife just ordered that. Turn out pretty good? I let her pick a kit now and then so I can keep brew... er I mean because I love her :) Not a fan of ginger... but I do like lemon in my summer ales.

Back