Adding lemon after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astropunk

Reaction score
Greetings!
I have an American wheat ready to bottle. Nothing special to it, but I was thinking about adding lemon flavoring to mimic a summer shandy. Is there any way I can add lemon flavor after fermentation? It's been in primary for around 4 weeks now.

use some lemon zest as a dry hop....i have no idea how much zest to tell you to use, maybe just 1?

Yea, I would agree with zest for a week after fermentation is done (in primary or secondary if that's your thing). Go easy, it's powerful stuff. I would do a quick search for something like "how much zest" and see what others have used. I definitely wouldn't do juice or lemonade. There are lemon extracts and essential oils you could add too. If you go that route, do it to taste at bottling time, a drop or two at a time.

Cool, thanks guys!

Do I need to do anything to avoid contamination? Like sanitize it somehow, or is it not an issue?

Just don't use lemon juice! Zest is best for flavor. If you want the juice flavor as well, add to the glass as you pour. Fresh squeezed juice will not taste the same a day later.

After reading Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation, I would be hesitant to add fruit zest/rind with a proper way to to remove the natural yeast. I have no advise on cleaning/ sanitizing the zest. Just letting you know.

Well its too late for the vodka trick, I'll remember that next time. I just rinsed them real good, zested them and tossed it right in. I used 1.5 lemons and about .25 of a lime. Ill give it until sunday and then bottle. I dont want the lemon to overpower it, Im hoping for just a hint of flavor.

We'll see how it turns out!

Well its too late for the vodka trick, I'll remember that next time. I just rinsed them real good, zested them and tossed it right in. I used 1.5 lemons and about .25 of a lime. Ill give it until sunday and then bottle. I dont want the lemon to overpower it, Im hoping for just a hint of flavor.

We'll see how it turns out!

Wow! That is a TON of zest! Let us know how you like it!

sfrisby said:
I do. It's neutral in flavor, not enough to alter ABV, and too much lemony goodness diffused into the liquid to waste.

Good tip. I'll have remember that.

I'd taste it as you go. He may have read 1.5oz lemon and 1/4 oz lime. Not zest of 1.5 lemons and 1/4 lime which would be a lot less than 1.75oz.

I checked it today.....PERFECT! I went ahead and bottled it. It tasted exactly like I had hoped!! Just a slight but not overpowering lemon flavor. Its going to be a great summer session beer.

I think daksin was right...I used quite a bit of zest for what I was going for. If I had left it in for more than 48 hours it may have been really overpowering, but I have high hopes that this will turn out great!!

Here's what I tryed and its pretty good. I keg so when I kegged it I droped a can of frozen lemon aid in the keg.

Latest posts

Back