adding lactose into a keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
i have a oatmeal stout that would benefit from a lot becoming a milk oatmeal stout, i was thinking depressurized the keg and add in lactose that i boiled in with a little water and make sure its cool before i add it.

any one done this?

I found a page full of results for this question on google search. Some say don't add it to a keg.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you were trying to add the lactose to an already fermented beer, it may be best to treat it like priming sugar and boil it in a small amount of water before adding. This way you can be sure it is dissolved and doesn't just sink to the bottom of the keg and do nothing.

So if I were to add it during the boil I would add 1 lbs. Should I add the same amount into the keg?

I am planning on boiling it with a little filtered water then adding that mixture to the keg after it cools. Should I give it time before I hook it back up to CO2?

I havent done it so this is all my opinion. Lactose is unfermentable so the full amount probably should be used. You could give it some time at room temp once it is mixed, but I do not see why it is necessary, instead just hook back up to the gas and let us know how it works out. Cant hurt to try.

From what I understand if I added this in during the boil it still wouldn't make a difference because it's unfermentable sugar.so my thought is that it shouldn't make a difference, the only negative thing that I think could happen with this is the beer becoming cloudy.

Well I boiled 1lbs of lactose with about 1/2 pint of filtered water let it cool then dumped it in the keg, well see how ot is in a few days.

I recently added lactose (boiled and cooled), as well as some other ingredients, to enhance the flavor and mouthfeel to a keg of about 3 gallons of pumpkin ale that had been on tap for a couple of months. Seemed to work fine and I considered it to be a success, as far as achieving what I was hoping for. One thing I did, however, was to put the lactose and other ingredients into a fresh keg and then CO2 transferred the beer from the old keg to the new. I did this in order to mix it all in without having to worry about kicking up all the yeast slurry that I knew was sitting at the bottom of the keg and clouding up my clear beer. It was still crystal clear immediately after transferring.

Turned ok I added a little to much lactose. I dry hopped in the keg and now u have a really good oatmeal milk stout.

I added 1lbs when I should have done 1/2-3/4. But how I did it was a lot like do priming sugar. Boiled it with filtered water let it cool, depressureized the keg and dumped it in. Used about 1pt of water to 1lbs of lactose. I let this sit for a few days and it was a little to sweet so I dry hopped the keg with 1oz of Chinook. And now it worked out to be a good beer.

Back