Adding lactose at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestro_wu

Reaction score
Hi all,

According to this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/rerack-off-settled-lactose-181360/index2.html#post2877623

I can get ~ 1.6 lbs of lactose to dissolve into a gallon of water. Now, I don't think I need quite that much, but I have read that somewhere between 0.5 and 1 lb is a good idea for my goals. (To make a potentially too-sour cider less so.)

My question is: should I just pour the lactose into the bottom of the pale, then rack the cider into it, to mix it up, or do I have to (potentially) add it to a lot (0.25 - 0.5 gallons) of water, boil that, then rack into that instead?

I'm looking to avoid making my brew too sour, but don't want to water it down, either.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I just made my first cider a few weeks ago and I added lactose at bottling. It turned out great. Still a dry cider, but not so dry as to pucker the mouth. What I did was dissolve a pound of lactose in maybe 1-2 quarts of hot water, dissolved my priming sugar into the lactose solution and bottled as normal. I also used gelatin for clarification, in case you wanted to know, but it's obviously irrelevant to the topic hand.

Back