Adding hot wort straight from boil pot to glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMT

Reaction score
I'm planning a double brew day this weekend and am looking for a bit of guidance.

I normally chill my wort in the pot (ice bath in the sink) but since I will need it for the second batch, could I just siphon the hot wort into a pre-heated carboy? If I did this, I would then be treating it as a no-chill brew so as to (hopefully) avoid thermally shocking the glass.

Is this a reasonable plan, or should I just extend my brewday and chill the wort in the pot?

Chill. Even preheating your carboy could lead to disastrous results. Be safe man...we don't need any more carboy related fatalities among our members. ;)

Looks like the voice of reason prevails. Thanks guys.

BTW, I broke a carboy by filling it with hot wort and setting in a cold in-ground swimming pool.

It's easy to convince yourself that these things will work, but in the end you find yourself in the wee hours of a cold January night, standing in a pool wearing pajama shorts and tennis shoes, wading around looking for shards of glass and praying your wife doesn't catch you.

BTW, I broke a carboy by filling it with hot wort and setting in a cold in-ground swimming pool.

It's easy to convince yourself that these things will work, but in the end you find yourself in the wee hours of a cold January night, standing in a pool wearing pajama shorts and tennis shoes, wading around looking for chards of glass and praying your wife doesn't catch you.

Sorry but I can't stop laughing..........too funny

It's easy to convince yourself that these things will work, but in the end you find yourself in the wee hours of a cold January night, standing in a pool wearing pajama shorts and tennis shoes, wading around looking for chards of glass and praying your wife doesn't catch you.

invokes a funny but bad mental picture :D

i'm in texas & after my first two brews & trying to frantically load ice into a sink i decided to build a cheap chiller out of copper tubing from the depot---best decision yet. i can get down to 75 degrees in fifteen minutes flat. ten minutes to scrub the pot & your back in business in under thirty minutes. i've started brewing two batches a day (when i brew) just because the chiller makes things so much easier.

It's easy to convince yourself that these things will work, but in the end you find yourself in the wee hours of a cold January night, standing in a pool wearing pajama shorts and tennis shoes, wading around looking for shards of glass and praying your wife doesn't catch you.

Oh, jeez. So...did the beer just become part of the swimming pool? I'm picturing a brown liquid sort of dissipating into the clear pool water....

Oh, jeez. So...did the beer just become part of the swimming pool? I'm picturing a brown liquid sort of dissipating into the clear pool water....

That's about exactly what happened. I lifted the carboy, which was sitting on the second step, to make sure it was secure there, and when it came out of the water the carboy had no bottom. A brown cloud sorta moved away from the remaining part of the carboy, across the bottom of the pool, like an octopus just inked.

Back