Adding Hops to Brew Canada Red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreBourbon

Reaction score
Added 28g of hop pellets to my secondary fermenter of Brew Canada red ale. Good or bad?

Good. Add some nice, fresh, hop aroma.

I'd let those hops sit for 4-7 days before bottling or kegging.
What kind of hop were they?

Awesome. They were from a local bree show called Defaulco's. SAAZ A.A 3.4% What ever that means. Lol

Awesome. They were from a local bree show called Defaulco's. SAAZ A.A 3.4% What ever that means. Lol

It means that the strain is Saaz, which has an Alpha Acid content of 3.4%. Alpha Acid content correlates with the bittering properties of a particular hop strain. The lower the Apha Acid content, the less bitterness will be present. In general, bittering hops have an A.A. content in the range of 10%-17%..sometimes even higher, depending on the strain. Bittering hops are the hops added at the start of the boil (typically 60 minutes).

Saaz is a very common hop used for flavor and/or aroma in pilseners and Belgian-style ales. They could also be used for bittering, but they will not impart much bitterness.

https://www.hopunion.com/saaz/

Saaz: Aroma Mild spice and earth tones.

I like Saaz. How well it does in your Red Ale will depend on what the hops were in the kit. Do they compliment or clash.

A total clash is unlikely though. Should be fine.

Back