adding gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PereFecto

Reaction score
Hi

I have this in my recipe : 1 oz of gypsum. When do I put it into the mash ? While mashing ? While boiling ? Before pitching the yeast ?

Many thanks

What is the beer/recipe?

Unless you know your water chemistry, I'd hesitate to just add Gypsum if you don't know you need it.

In any case, I'm guessing its a Pale Ale or IPA? I would add it to the boil in this case since flavor is the intended effect, instead of adjusting water chemistry for mash pH.

just to be contrary, i would add it during mash (with about 40 grams of chinook).

If you need the gypsum to adjust the mash pH, then add it to the mash.
If you need the gypsum to provide calcium, then add it to the mash.
If you need the gypsum to adjust the pH of the sparge water, then add it to the sparge water.
If you need the gypsum to adjust the Cl/S04 ration, then add it to the boil
If you need the gypsum just because somebody said so without knowing anything about your water, then read http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html to get a basic understanding of what is required.

-a.

Back in the old days there was a general idea that a dose of gypsum did all sorts of wonderful things for your beer. Now in these enlightened days we understand a little more about water chemistry and other such high minded concepts and the tossing of a teaspoon of so into any and all beers is gone by the wayside.

While making adjustments to you water is a good technique, it has to be done based on the water you have and the beer you are making. It can just as easily hurt the beer as much as help it...it depends on YOUR water and the beer you are making.

Latest posts

Back