Adding fruit to long secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrod

Reaction score
I have a beer that has completed normal fermentation and I am planning on pitching some brett and bugs just to see how it ages. I would also like to add some cherry puree and was wondering if a secondary fermentation sitting on the fruit for an extended period of time (1 year) would cause issues. Perhaps fruit juice would be a better plan or should I just add the fruit once I'm happy with the base flavor?

Any input or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I’d rather wait to add fruit. Fruit flavor fades, adding it now the flavors will already be a year old by the time you bottle. Why not let it sour, and then rack it onto fruit when it is 2-3 months from bottling? That way you can taste the beer and see if cherry really is the right choice. I often bottle half a batch plain and rack the rest onto fruit in a three gallon carboy. As a side note I find puree to be a pain, grab some fresh sour cherries when they’re in season in a few months! Good luck!

Back