Adding frozen whole cranberries and blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
So I just racked on top of 2lbs of frozen local blueberries and cranberries in an attempt to leave them in secondary for a few months then bottle.

But I didn't realize I should have smashed them. I added them all whole. Now the cranberries are floating lol, there's only an inch or 2 headspace in the neck of my carboy. Should I leave it as is? I realize I probably won't get much flavor from the fruit right?

Should I try to scoop out the floating cranberries and smash them then re add them?

Why would you think that ?

They will likely float whether you break them up or not. Actually if you do break them up you can get bitterness from broken/damaged seeds.......

With that amount of head space you will likely need to swirl the fermenter once or twice a day to keep the ones that break the surface moist.

If you haven't stabilised the batch first and there's any alcohol tolerance space available then it's likely that as the yeast gets into the fruit it will slowly ferment some/all the fruit sugars.

So as it stands just swirl the fermenter once or twice daily. Once the fruit has sunk, it up to you whether you rack again to take it off the fruit (whole fruit is easier to rack off) too clear or you just let it clear then rack it off.

The only additional ingredient I'd suggest is some pectic enzyme as it not only helps reduce the chance of pectin hazes but also helps with flavour and colour extraction. Probable doseage being 2 tsp per gallon........

Why would you think that ?

They will likely float whether you break them up or not. Actually if you do break them up you can get bitterness from broken/damaged seeds.......

With that amount of head space you will likely need to swirl the fermenter once or twice a day to keep the ones that break the surface moist.

If you haven't stabilised the batch first and there's any alcohol tolerance space available then it's likely that as the yeast gets into the fruit it will slowly ferment some/all the fruit sugars.

So as it stands just swirl the fermenter once or twice daily. Once the fruit has sunk, it up to you whether you rack again to take it off the fruit (whole fruit is easier to rack off) too clear or you just let it clear then rack it off.

The only additional ingredient I'd suggest is some pectic enzyme as it not only helps reduce the chance of pectin hazes but also helps with flavour and colour extraction. Probable doseage being 2 tsp per gallon........

Thanks for the reply!

Should I add some distilled water to give 0 headspace? I think I'd only need half a cup or so til the cranberries hit the airlock bung

Thanks for the reply!

Should I add some distilled water to give 0 headspace? I think I'd only need half a cup or so til the cranberries hit the airlock bung
You'll likely be fine. You will need a small amount of space to allow for fruit or liquid movement anyway.

Especially if you're working in the unstabilised scenario.....

They can trap escaping CO2 from any secondary fermentation that might occur. So as like with grape wine making, its the same and you still need some space for this "cap management" technique, as eruptions are much less likely but they can still occur.

There's no point in being too anal about oxidation worries. The tiny amount that can occur is incidental and any secondary fermentation or even nucleation caused by a once or twice daily stir will provide a CO2 blanketing.......

You'll likely be fine. You will need a small amount of space to allow for fruit or liquid movement anyway.

Especially if you're working in the unstabilised scenario.....

They can trap escaping CO2 from any secondary fermentation that might occur. So as like with grape wine making, its the same and you still need some space for this "cap management" technique, as eruptions are much less likely but they can still occur.

There's no point in being too anal about oxidation worries. The tiny amount that can occur is incidental and any secondary fermentation or even nucleation caused by a once or twice daily stir will provide a CO2 blanketing.......

Woke this morning to find the airlock bubbling out the top with pink liquid and the small headspace I had in the carboys neck was gone. I removed a spoonful of cranberries and used my thief to take a couple ounces of mead out. Now almost the entire carboy neck is headspace so it'll be easier to stir

mullenium said:
So I just racked on top of 2lbs of frozen local blueberries and cranberries in an attempt to leave them in secondary for a few months then bottle.

But I didn't realize I should have smashed them. I added them all whole. Now the cranberries are floating lol, there's only an inch or 2 headspace in the neck of my carboy. Should I leave it as is? I realize I probably won't get much flavor from the fruit right?

Should I try to scoop out the floating cranberries and smash them then re add them?

Whole cranberies will not work well. They need to have their skin peirced. Even a pin prick will work. Usually I just cut mine in half. All other fruit will more or less give up its juice and flavor during fermentaion. Not cranberries! They have very tough skin, like a tank! You may get some cranberry flavor as they are, but not as much as you can. If posssible fish them out and either pop them with your fingers or cut them. No need to chop or grind. A potato masher may work if they have softened up any.

Leave plenty of head space when using fresh fruit! When fermentaion is all done it will sink to the bottom. That way it can clog up your syphon better:).

Latest posts

Back