Adding flavours to my pale ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Hey, I'm nearly ready to move my pale ale out of fermentation vessel.

I've got two 1 gallon Demi's which I plan to use to add some flavours. In one im going to add sour cherrys have froozen them to kill any Bactria and break up their cells.

The one I have questions about is, I was thinking of adding some lemon and coriander? My question is, has anyone done this and second how much of each would be roughly the right amount?

Lastly, how long should I think about leaving the beer in secondary with the added ingredients?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Use the lemon sparingly. I found 1 lemon per gallon too much for the beer I made.

That's a good start thanks, I may use half a lemon for a gallon in that case!

Freezing does NOT kill bacteria

I've read to use steriliser with fruit but that does not sound to right? Some boiling water to clean and kill Bactria?

Boiling water should do the trick..

You can use the fruit upfront, normally recommended to steep after the boil 150-180F, boiling will release pectins add will cause clarity issues....I have added to a summer wheat a few yrs ago in the secondary...I soaked all my berries in a sanitizing solution (there are specific food disinfectants that you can add to water and soak your fruit in that can do the trick) and froze, then pureed (skins break on things like cherries) and added to the secondary..added a nice flavor but beware if it is a high sugar fruit, the yeast will go a little crazy and it could make a mess so look for the blowoff....use proper sanitation techniques and you should be fine.

Back