Adding fan to chest freezer kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, currently building my kegerator and i want to install a small fan to circulate the air inside. i was guessing a computer fan but how would i wire it to work? any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks

nic

You can buy a plug in converter at Wal-mart, I just snipped the ends and attached spade connectors. Now I can use it with my kegerator fan and stirplate.

Muffin fan and a wall wort rated to meet voltage for the fan. Cut the plug off and separate the wires Black to black, red to red. Solder, crimps, worst case electrical tape. Done.

I have 2 PC fans in my keezer, and 2 more exhausting heat from the compressor. I covered my freezer in wood so it needed help ridding the heat. I used an old cell phone charger and just spliced in the fans using red and black wires, and left the yellow unused. It works great.

just a quick question about this. Where did you place the fan, top, bottom, or side? Also do you just shut the door on the wires or do you drill a hole in the fridge for them?? Just curious as to how the wires run into the kegerator.

I don't think placement matters much, as long as air is circulating. I have mine resting on top of the 5 lb co2 tank, aimed upward. I made a tall lid for my keezer instead of a collar with the original lid. I used stick-on weather strip type foam as a lid gasket. The wires run through a seam in that seal at the corner. You could drill a hole and seal it with caulk or something.

Looking at the Ad, it appears that the fan you purchased is 120 V AC, not DC like a standard PC fan, so you can chuck most of the above posts.... if it doesn't come pre-wired, you'll just need to snag a cheap extension chord, cut off the female end, and wire it to the fan.

your welcome inspector13. hop-head, i was thinking that an extension cord would work but i wasnt sure. if you look in the photos, it looks like its prewired so hopefully it will be an easy set up. ill take a pic when i get it.

just wanted to report i got my fan and wiring it was simple. really over thought it. works great. thanks everyone.

20W fan. No thanks. Watts is heat. That is same as putting a 20W light bulb in there.

I have two 12V PC fans sitting here... 1.9W and 4W. And that is is you drive them with 12V, which I wouldn't do to move air around (5V would be plenty).

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

I agree with passedpawn. My 12V PC fan is running fine with a 9V cordless phone charger. I also don't like 120V AC just hanging out in the keezer where there's a good chance things will be pretty damp (condensation or potential beer leaks). Please make sure you use a GFCI outlet for the fan!

Back