Adding Crabapples to Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I am attempting a crabapple beer. Last week, I brewed a wheat beer for the base and I have about 10 lbs. of crabaplles in the freezer waiting to be added to the secondary (I usually don't use a secondary, but I assume it is a good idea for the fruit). My question is--should I parboil the crabapples to sanitize them before adding to the secondary and racking the beer over them? If parboiling is advisable, should I crush them before or after the boil?

I would mash them up or crush them then heat them up to 180ºF and hold it there for about 10 minutes. You don't want to boil them because of the pectin and the fact that you'll create a very nice jam/jelly out of them but that's not so great for putting in the beer.

Once you're done heating just put them in the carboy and rack on top of them. They'll settle out over time and they you can rack the beer off of them again for bottling, kegging or if you feel the need for a tertiary ferment.

I just did this with blackberries, added a little water, smooshed them up and brought to 180-190 for 20 mins just to be sure. Added them to the carboy and racked over them.

Back