Adding coffee beans to bourbon barrel porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBWarke

Reaction score
Last night, I brewed up a one gallon batch of NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter. I plan to let it ferment for about 2 weeks and then I will add the oak cubes with bourbon as well as an ounce of whole coffee beans and let them soak in for about a week. Does this sound like a good addition or a recipe for disaster?

I'll be finding out, as I have something similar sitting in secondary. I soaked about a half a cup of whole beans in just enough bourbon to cover them and then poured the lot of it into secondary and racked a RIS on top of it. For better or worse I'm going to let it secondary for a least a month before I bottle. Maybe longer.

-- Nathan

Ive always added my coffee beans to the beer coarsely crushed, via a sanitized nylon bag. Think if it like dry hopping, but with coffee beans instead. I typically dont go past 3 days, as that adds a lot of coffee flavor per my experience.

You can also do the cold brew method as well. Ive tried it once, and prefer the "dry hop" method better, but either way will work.

I usually add the cold brew in the bottling bucket. Just add it to taste so you're less likely to under or overdo it. You can do the same thing in a keg.

Ive always added my coffee beans to the beer coarsely crushed, via a sanitized nylon bag. Think if it like dry hopping, but with coffee beans instead. I typically dont go past 3 days, as that adds a lot of coffee flavor per my experience.

You can also do the cold brew method as well. Ive tried it once, and prefer the "dry hop" method better, but either way will work.

Whoops, mine has been sitting in secondary for a few weeks now already. Maybe I'll bottle at the 1 month mark and condition further in the bottles from there.

Hopefully the small amount of whole beans won't overpower 5 gallons of 11% RIS. But, hey, I love a strong coffee flavor so even if it does, I'll probably still like drinking it.

-- Nathan

Whoops, mine has been sitting in secondary for a few weeks now already. Maybe I'll bottle at the 1 month mark and condition further in the bottles from there.

Hopefully the small amount of whole beans won't overpower 5 gallons of 11% RIS. But, hey, I love a strong coffee flavor so even if it does, I'll probably still like drinking it.

-- Nathan

It does mellow with time, so you should be good. Sounds like a tasty brew :mug:

Hi All,

I agree most of the great recipes are made during night. I like the idea of grinding and cold brew the coffee.

Sounds really refreshing, flat white is what makes catching my attention nowadays. I am thinking of preparing it at home from fresh coffee beans, I have ordered online form Kaffeesolo.

Hope it brew nicely!!

Back