adding chipotle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I am going to brew a chocolate oatmeal stout kit beer and I plan to add chipotle peppers for flavor and a touch of heat. When would be the best time to add them? During primary fermentation or secondary fermentation? If during secondary, how soon before bottling should I add them?

Curious myself. A chocolate Chipotle stout would be right up my alley. Let me know how it comes out

When I brewed my Hellfire IIPA, I added 2 ghost chilies @ 10 minutes left in the boil. Then, while dry hopping, I added 1 more ghost & 1 red Fatalli. Nice amount of heat with hops giving the same flavors as hot peppers. Adding all the peppers @ 10 minutes would make some more heat, but not as much as you'd get from eating the peppers.

I'm about to do the same with a stout. I add dried chipotles in secondary in a mesh bag. That way I can sample and remove the chiles when the heat and flavor are where I want them, usually takes about a week for me, but chiles always have a little variance based on the specific crop.

Should the chilies be soaked in vodka or blanched to sterilize before adding to secondary?

I didn't. I just added a heavy shot glass to the bag so it would sink. Stays away from any o2 that might've gotten in while the lid was off. Just quarter sliced them.

I love chili pepper dark chocolate. A chocolate stout with hot peppers? Sounds perfect. I would bottle rather than keg....

Old thread I forgot about. Chipotle stout turned out great. I would however use less chipotle next time

Back