Adding amylase to carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahB

Reaction score
Long story short, I've got an Irish stout that's been kegged for a few months that finished off just too sweet drink, ending up at 1.022. Can I depressurize it, take the lid off and just dump some amylase enzyme in and then purge the oxygen out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Be very careful with that stuff. I have used it to reduce FG and had to dump an entire batch as I bottled to early thinking it was done. It takes a long time finish. Never used it in a keg but just be careful. I make 3 gal batches and only used 0.5ml and still ran into trouble.

Has nobody ever done this before? I can't find anything on adding it to the keg, only to the secondary. Is it a "no-go"??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The problem you might face is that the amylase needs active yeast in order to actually drop the gravity. If this beer has been in the keg for a few months then you prob won't have enough yeast in suspension. I'd recommend that the next time you make a starter, make a little extra. Pull the keg out to warm to room temps, and when the starter is at high krausen, pitch some of it into the keg. Keep it room temp and off gas it periodically. Hopefully, the starter yeast will eat the sugars that the amylase makes available.

Latest posts

Back