Adding Acid to Strawberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoFiller

Reaction score
From what I've read water is added to strawberry and other fruit wines because otherwise they would be too acidic. However, the same recipes that add water also add acid blend. Why dilute the acidity only to add it back?

I'm planning to make strawberry wine for the first time (first time making wine).

I didn’t bother with acids, but I barely added any water, then I added even more strawberries for secondary.

From what I've read water is added to strawberry and other fruit wines because otherwise they would be too acidic. However, the same recipes that add water also add acid blend. Why dilute the acidity only to add it back?

I'm planning to make strawberry wine for the first time (first time making wine).

First, acid blend is not always added and should only be added to "taste". Secondly, acid blend is a blend of tartaric (50%), citric (25%) and malic (25%) acid. Most berries are very high in malic acid, which is bitingly tart where as citric acid is "bright" and tartaric is the acid found primarily in wine grapes. So it's not about lowering the acid, and bringing it back- it's about a balance to make a drinkable and enjoyable wine.

First, acid blend is not always added and should only be added to "taste". Secondly, acid blend is a blend of tartaric (50%), citric (25%) and malic (25%) acid. Most berries are very high in malic acid, which is bitingly tart where as citric acid is "bright" and tartaric is the acid found primarily in wine grapes. So it's not about lowering the acid, and bringing it back- it's about a balance to make a drinkable and enjoyable wine.

Thank you for the explanation. Very helpful!

Back