Adding a Secondary Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
With my current setup, I have a 5lb CO2 tank that connects to a primary regulator. It goes out to a 4 valve splitter, which allows me to serve 4 beers at the same pressure. See the photo below.
TW6EI7O.jpg

I would like to have one keg at a higher pressure and let the other 3 remain at a different lower pressure. The goal is to allow one tap to serve at higher pressures.

I purchased a secondary regulator and a T connector as pictured below.
HAhr9xp.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to chain them together. Do I run a hose to the T Connector and have the right side go to the keg to server at a higher pressure, and the left side connect to the secondary regulator? Then the secondary regulator would serve the remaining 3 kegs at a lower pressure? Something like the crude diagram below:
x8dqGik.png

I've seen other setups where the secondary is connected to the primary on the left hand side. It looks like I would need to unhook the left meter from the primary and attach it to the left of the secondary, then buy a connector to connect the left of the primary to the right of the secondary.

Are both methods valid?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think the hose is the right way. I added a body to mine and to do that I took off the high pressure valve and added the body then put the high pressure valve onto the body. Take a look for "add a body" regulator.

I could be wrong but I don't know if you can just use a t connector and hoses.

There is definitely only one way to use what you have: use the original primary regulator as the higher pressure side for your single keg with a tee on its output that also becomes the input to the secondary regulator that in turn serves the other kegs.

The potential pitfall here is the secondary regulator needs about five psi input to output differential to work. Do the math...

Cheers!

There is definitely only one way to use what you have: use the original primary regulator as the higher pressure side for your single keg with a tee on its output that also becomes the input to the secondary regulator that in turn serves the other kegs.

The potential pitfall here is the secondary regulator needs about five psi input to output differential to work. Do the math...

Cheers!

That sounds identical to my crude diagram, is this correct?

That sounds identical to my crude diagram, is this correct?

I'm gonna go with "yes".

Do note the differential thing. Whatever you set the secondary to, you'll need to add ~5 psi to that as the minimum pressure set for the primary regulator...

Cheers!

If it were me, I'd do what Hello mentioned and combine the primary and secondary regs into a single dual-body reg. Looks like all you would need, parts-wise, is the correct nipple to join the two bodies together. That way, you won't have to worry about the pressure differential that day_tripper described.

The problem with ^that is he already has the Taprite secondary - and it's only rated to 50psi maximum working pressure (and they recommend two-thirds the 0-60psi gauge rating as a practical maximum - so 40 psi). Anything hooked to the tank is going to see 800psi or more...

Cheers!

The problem with ^that is he already has the Taprite secondary - and it's only rated to 50psi maximum working pressure (and they recommend two-thirds the 0-60psi gauge rating as a practical maximum - so 40 psi). Anything hooked to the tank is going to see 800psi or more...

Cheers!

Oh, yeah, you're right. There are secondary regs out there that can be used as a 2nd body on a primary, but this isn't one of them.

Latest posts

Back