adding a fruit juice concentrate to a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG311

Reaction score
Here in Western NY we have a fruit juice drink called "loganberry" which you can get in syrup form that you'd dilute to 1 part syrup to 5 parts water to drink as a regular beverage. I really want to make a wheat beer with this syrup but have no idea how to work it into a recipe.

any advice would be awesome!!

You can make the wheat beer and then as you keg it you can dump the concentrate into the keg first and then rack the beer on to it. And just keep the keg cold so that the yeasts don't wake up and eat the sugars of the concentrate.

As for how many cans to add to a 5-gallon batch of beer...I guess you'll have to do some experimenting. I'd start with 2 cans and see if that gives you enough of the loganberry flavor that you're looking for.

You can make the wheat beer and then as you keg it you can dump the concentrate into the keg first and then rack the beer on to it. And just keep the keg cold so that the yeasts don't wake up and eat the sugars of the concentrate.

As for how many cans to add to a 5-gallon batch of beer...I guess you'll have to do some experimenting. I'd start with 2 cans and see if that gives you enough of the loganberry flavor that you're looking for.

Thanks.

Im going to be bottling, so would it be best to add in secondary so that some of the sugars get digested and I don't end up with bottle bombs?

Thanks.

Im going to be bottling, so would it be best to add in secondary so that some of the sugars get digested and I don't end up with bottle bombs?

Yeah, I don't know how it's going to taste with the yeasts eating the sugars of the concentrate. It's kinda like brewing with honey in that respect.

Yes, one way to do it is by secondary fermentation with the concentrate. But you're going to have a high ABV beer on your hands, most likely. It all depends on how much of this concentrate is fermentable sugar. It's probably quite a bit.

Another way to do it is by adding the concentrate to the boil at flameout and then just doing a primary ferment. I guess you have some experimenting to do.

Or just start kegging. :)

Back