Added to much water to the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA today and everything was going great. I was short about .25 gallons and added some water. I started shaking bucket and the lid was not on all the way. I ended up spilling some wort. I didn't think it was too much so I added a bit more water. I could not tell where the line of the wort was on the bucket and ended up adding about 1 gallon of water! . My OG went from roughly 1.064 - 1.068 all the way down to 1.050! You think this will mess up the outcome? I now have 6 gallons, but this was suppose to be a 5 gallon batch.

It'll still be drinkable, just won't be as strong as you intended. Proceed as planned and rack it up as a learning experience. Oh, and you might want to use a blow off tube for this one since you're volume in the fermentor is higher than expected. Krausen might reach up and blow off on you.

Not exactly. Your abv will be lower, but the hoppiness will still be there. Are you planning to dry hop it? If so, a lot of the hoppy IPA taste will come from that.

I plan on dry hopping 3 oz of hops. The target IBU is 71.9 IBU. I was in beersmith and changed my volume to 6 gallon to see where everything would be at. The IBU's dropped down to 66 IBU. So it will still be hoppy.

I would just go ahead and see this one through. You shouldn't be unhappy with the beer even if it's not exactly what you were shooting for.

Should still be tasty. You'll lose some alcohol, and therefore some body and mouthfeel, but that doesn't mean it won't be delicious. RDWHAHB!

-ben

How did you test the OG? If you added cold water to the fermentor and didn't stir the ever living hell out of it you might have had had some layering going on, decreasing the og

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

After I added the water I did aerate the wort for few minutes. I took a sample and tested with a hydrometer.

Sounds good, I wouldn't worry. But just in case feel free to just ship it my way :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back