Added Potassium sorbate too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
I am making a pinot noir from a kit. I misread the kit and I added the Potassium sorbate too early and after waiting about 2 weeks the gravity seems to have leveled out at 1.040, originally 1.082. According to an online alcohol calculator this leaves the % at between 5 - 6%.

I also have a white pinot grigio going, so after racking I saved and washed the yeast. I added it to a small ~16 ounces of some sort of organic grape juice my wife bought and have been letting it ferment.

Since the sorbate doesn't stop the yeast from fermenting but apparently stops them from reproducing I was thinking of letting the grape juice ferment for a few days and than add it to the pinot noir with the hopes it will continue to ferment and increase teh % alcohol without negatively effecting the taste too much.

I'm new to making wine so how bad of an idea is this? Is there any chance it will work and/or is there anything I can do to get the fermentation/%alchol up in the pinot noir with the K sorbate in it already?

If a juice or wine has too much sorbate in it to ferment I have always had to dilute it with additional juice, wine or water. That, a large starter with a finishing yeast and plenty of O2 is your friend.

Latest posts

Back