Add spices after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
I have a couple batches of cider and a batch of Mead aging in carboys. If I want to make any of these spiced should I have done it pre-ferment or is it okay to add later / before bottling? What would the differences in the end product be?

I have a couple batches of cider and a batch of Mead aging in carboys. If I want to make any of these spiced should I have done it pre-ferment or is it okay to add later / before bottling? What would the differences in the end product be?

Others may offer a different opinion but a) a very vigorous fermentation will blow off many of the aromatic and the flavor molecules from your spices so I would add spices during aging (after gravity has dropped to about 1.000) and b) alcohol is a better extractor of flavor and aromatics than "water" so you will get more bang for your buck if you add the spices to the cider or the mead when the ABV is at 5- 13% than before the yeast has done its work...

Thanks Bernard! Should I wait a certain amount of time for any further "dropout" after adding spices, or is it okay to mix them in and immediately bottle?

Thanks Bernard! Should I wait a certain amount of time for any further "dropout" after adding spices, or is it okay to mix them in and immediately bottle?

You shouldn't use ground spices. So there should be no need for the spices to fall out. If you want the flavor in the cider/mead the longer they sit the better.

Latest posts

Back