Add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East

Reaction score
I made an anchor steam clone (extract) yesterday I used a wyeast smack pack for the first time, it never really expanded but I wasnt sure and still used it.
It has been over 24 hours now and no signs of fermentation!! Should I get another packet of yeast and re pitch tomorrow if it hasn't started by then?

If the pack didn't rise, that's a pretty good sign that you may have some older yeast. Although they may be slow to get started, they should probably still do for you. What temp are you fermenting at? You may want to consider raising the temps slightly to see if that helps jump start the fermentation. If you still have nothing in a few days, check your hydro readings to see if it has dropped any. If it has, let her go... if the hydro reading hasn't budged, re-pitch.

It is on the cool side at my house 60-62 but I have been keeping the primary in front of a heater which is bringing up to 65-68...

You should have no problem with those temps. The Cali Ale yeast is actually PERFECT for those temps. I would just let it ride for the next day or so to see if it picks up any. There are stickies all over the forums about how fermentation can pick up in 24-48 and even 72 hours after pitching. It's not all that uncommon, especially if you are using a package of yeast that started slowly from the very get go. If you don't see any activity within the next day or two, I would recommend going and picking up another vial of your yeast and pitching it in as well. At that point, a little extra yeast won't hurt any...

Grab a couple of packets of dry yeast to have on hand. If this doesn't get going in a couple of days, then pitch some rehydrated dry yeast (or another smack pack if you wish). I always have a couple of spares laying around in case I want to make something.

Latest posts

Back