Add DME to all grain at boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkq1206

Reaction score
I have a really quick question. I'm going to be brewing a 10gal batch of a Harpoon IPA clone tonight. I only have a 10gal round cooler so I'm going to end up being about 2lbs short in the mash. I'm planning on adding a small amount of DME at the boil to raise the OG up the amount of points that I need to raise it.

I'm sure this is less than ideal, but I've found with brewing beer you can basically do what you want and it still makes beer. Just want to hear if anybody has tried this and it absolutely did not work.

Thanks!
Joe

It will absolutely work and it is how I make barley wines. I would recommend on using light or extra light DME to not add any really conflicting flavors to your base grains. Also there are pro brewers who do this exact same thing, so no worries.

I recently did a 15 gallon batch oF pale ale, and my mash tun (10gal) would only hold 23 lbs of grain. So I did my mashing and sparging as a 10 gallon batch (about 12 gallons pre-boil) added 6 lbs of LME to the boil with a few gallons of water, and boiled it down to 15gallons.

Everything turned out great.

That'll be my plan for bigger AG beers where I have boil kettle limitations (BIAB). Just add some DME or LME to desired.

Latest posts

Back