Add DME, sticks to bag!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshWithrow

Reaction score
I can't be the only person feeling like he's wasting DME due to it sticking to the bag when I goto dump it into the boil pot.

I remove the pot from heat, pour it in as fast as I can (while stirring), but a bunch of it always sticks to the mouth of the bag (due to steam). Not a huge deal, because I like to eat it off of said edge of bag lol. And I'm sure it's not a huge deal as far as the gravity goes, but just wondering if anybody has been able to get around this.

Thanks!

You could try pouring it into a stainless steel bowl, then rinsing it. Carefully.

I scoop the dme with a coffee mug until the bag is almost empty then pour the rest into the mug, away from the steam. It sticks like mad. I then scrape off most of it then dip the mug in the wort and rinse most of it off the mug.

Can't wait for a few degrees warmer and back to all grain on the porch.

I scoop the dme with a coffee mug until the bag is almost empty then pour the rest into the mug, away from the steam. It sticks like mad. I then scrape off most of it then dip the mug in the wort and rinse most of it off the mug.

Can't wait for a few degrees warmer and back to all grain on the porch.

So simple... why didn't I think of that... :) Thanks!

Man I'm sure you're sick of this winter. Where I'm at it hasn't been bad, but all that changes 2 hrs north into NJ. They have a few feet of snow sitting on the ground, and I'm sure you have them beat.

I have been considering getting some coolers (to make a mash tun and sparge tank), so maybe this summer I'll get brave and do a few AG's :) Lord knows there's no shortage of recipes.

I just cut the bag all the way across, open it wide, and dump it as fast as possible. It feels like a lot sticks behind, but it's not really all that much. I prefer this to getting gunk on other implements in the kitchen.

I try to hold the bag sideways and shake the extract out to reduce the amount of steam that gets into the bag. Then, I rub the near-empty bag between my palms, which causes any steamed extract to roll together into clumps/strands that I can shake out of the bag.

I can second the bowl method. I use a ss bowl full of the DME, pore into kettle then rinse with wort! Nothing worse than sticky clumped up bags and fingers covered in DME!

Sent from my iPad

I mix it in another pot in cold water. It mixes together easier when cold. Then I warm up that pot and pour in the main pot when it is time after steeping the grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After the initial pour of the DME from the bag I sit the bag aside with the stuck on remains for a couple of minutes cool. I then rub the bag between my palms. This will release most of the remaining DME.

I dip the bag in the wort. It gets the last of the powder. It's at the beginning of the boil so it will be sanitized. Clean up is easy, just throw away the bag.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

Back