Add carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I kegged an English bitter. I added about half as much carbonation as I usually do when I kegged. I let it carb up for about 10 days. I chilled in my keg orator and just tapped it. It tastes flat. If I let it warm up from about 37 to 54 will it have more carbonation? If I want to increase the carbonation in the keg and keep it at 37, how should I add it?

I kegged an English bitter. I added about half as much carbonation as I usually do when I kegged. I let it carb up for about 10 days. I chilled in my keg orator and just tapped it. It tastes flat. If I let it warm up from about 37 to 54 will it have more carbonation? If I want to increase the carbonation in the keg and keep it at 37, how should I add it?

No, it probably won't carb up more now from the priming sugar. You can definitely increase the gas, and that will carb it up more but might take 5 days or so.

Thanks. I am not going to be able to keep pressure on it. My gas has always leaked from the connection. I have tried new connectors and it did not help. I need to hit it with pressure and disconnect

Thanks. I am not going to be able to keep pressure on it. My gas has always leaked from the connection. I have tried new connectors and it did not help. I need to hit it with pressure and disconnect

That's a huge issue, then. Even with dispensing, if you can't keep pressure on it it will lose carbonation. The leak needs to be fixed.

Can you tell where it's leaking from? If coming from under the disconnect make sure you have the correct keg post on the gas in side - it should the post with notches in the base. If it's coming from the gray disconnect itself check to see that the top is on tight, a screwdriver fits in the little groove on the top. You don't need to crank it too hard but it should be snug. If that doesn't work unscrew the top and examine the pieces inside - there should be the plastic post that depresses the poppet, a spring, and a little black washer. Make sure the washer looks okay and is aligned properly.

Back