Activated lager yeast too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadster

Reaction score
I was planning to make a starter for my lager yeast last night (thursday) for brewing on Saturday. I activated the wyeast pack (it was an activator) thursday but had to cancel plans for the starter. I put the yeast back in the fridge (it had already swelled).

Question: can I still use this yeast for the saturday or should I just get rid of it. I've been informed you can do this with ale yeast, but not so sure about lager as it has the lower fermentation temperature.

Yep. The yeast is fine. The activator pack is just a tiny bit of wort and a quantity of yeast nutrient. It doesn't actually "activate" the yeast. It just causes them to metabolize a tiny amount of sugar, thus releasing gas (which is useful, because it indicates that the pack is good). It's kind of like you gave the yeast a small snack before their big meal, but unlike you or I, yeast don't get full. It doesn't make a drop of difference.

Back