Acidulated Wheat in Belgian Wit. Is this a good thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have been trying to perfect my House Belgian Wit which has it's roots from BierMunchers original recipe post for a Blue Moon Clone - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/. A few of the modifications to his recipe I use are:

Wheat Malt instead of Flaked Wheat
Addition of Sweet Orange Peel
Variations of hops varieties and timing of additions

So now I am considering additional alternatives such as Acidulated Wheat in small additions. The information about Acidualted Wheat that I have read states it is a good addition for Belgian Wits for adding an "Acidic Tang". Now I do not want to go overboard, but I would like to give it a shot, so I was hoping someone out there could get me in the ballpark for my first addition and from there, I can make alterations if need be.

Any input will be appreciated (pro or con).

Salute! :mug:

I believe I put 1.5 or 2 ounces in my wit, and It was undetectable. You might want to do more. I think there is something in Radical Brewing about adding acid malt to wits.

I wouldn't go more than 6-8 ounces on your first attempt. You can always bump it up from there. Acid malt is sprayed with lactic acid to give it the tang you mention. I like it's effects, but my lhbs can't get it.

I use 4-6 oz in my wits depending on other flavoring aspects. I could taste the difference compared to a batch without acidulated malt. I use it in every batch now. I'll have to get a new bag of it soon.

Back