Acid Levels Of Strawberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyap

Reaction score
Hi, always something to confuse me..

Before pitching yeast on 7-1, I took an acid test, called for 3 tsp. acid blend..

Now today, 7-6, I took another acid test and shows level way high, 1.8%.

Taste is even acidic..

Making 5 gallons but have 6.25 gallons of must to allow for waste.

Beginning SG before yeast was 1.104, today 7-6 SG is 1.022

Should I add calcium carbide to bring acid level down a little, heard that to much can cause a chalky taste...

Thanks, your always there to help, and I really appreciate it alot..

Tim

Use potassium carbonate/bicarbonate, dissolves well and doesn’t have the chalky taste. It’s the same stuff used in the BOMM protocol to buffer ph during fermentation and provide potassium to the yeast. The recipe calls for 1/4tsp per gallon, so maybe start roughly there and check again.

Use potassium carbonate/bicarbonate, dissolves well and doesn’t have the chalky taste. It’s the same stuff used in the BOMM protocol to buffer ph during fermentation and provide potassium to the yeast. The recipe calls for 1/4tsp per gallon, so maybe start roughly there and check again.

Hi, I dont have any potassium carbonate/bicarbonate but will be going to town on Tuesday so will pick some up.

I ran out of Sodium Hydroxide for the test kit so will pick up some of that also.

(Would Baking Soda Work?) in place of potassium carbonate/bicarbonate.

I know nothing about "BOMM" guess I should read about it.

I racked into secondary this morning, SG 1.010,

What I cant figure out in my head is that when using the "Test Strips", (I don't use very often) that the strip shows 3.4,
But the must taste so acidic, am I missing something in this wine making endeavor.?to

Next time I wont add any acid blend until I do an acid test, I was going to do it with this batch but forgot,,Duh

Thanks,
Tim

The type and amount of acid and its salts is what makes something taste acidic/sour, not pH.

Potassium carbonate is preferred over sodium bicarbonate because potassium is flavor neutral.

The type and amount of acid and its salts is what makes something taste acidic/sour, not pH.

Potassium carbonate is preferred over sodium bicarbonate because potassium is flavor neutral.

Thanks,

Why in the H... cant I get that right in my head, That is probably why I make mistakes..

I dont understand it and it doesn't make sense to me..

Do you know of an article some where that a 6 year old would understand it, then maybe I would..

Thanks,
Tim

Edit: If I sounded Cranky Its because I just dont get it, Its nothing said on this site at all... cant figure out how this stuff works, to old a brain maybe..
Tim

Last edited:
Don't know any article but the key points as I understand them are as follows:
Yeast does not care how alkaline a wine is. It does care how acidic it is. A solution that is too acidic can stress the yeast. Most fruit that I am aware of will not create any problem for yeast (honey is different) so you really do not need to focus on the pH of the must (or wine) before you bottle. After active fermentation has ended and you are getting ready to bottle your wine then you might want to become interested in the acidity of the wine - but the value you should be interested in is the TA (titratable acidity) not the pH. TA deals with the amount of acid in the wine NOT the strength of the acid. pH deals with the strength and not the amount. You can measure the TA with your acid test kit and you would be looking for a TA of about 6g/L (6 grams of acid per liter of wine) but you can "measure" the TA with your tongue. If the wine tastes too bland it needs some additional acid (I would look for the same acid as is found in strawberries) If the wine tastes too tart I would either add some base (alkaline) or blend the wine with a similar wine that needs acidity.

Where pH is important in wine making is when you need /want to add K-meta to inhibit oxidation. The higher the pH (the LESS acidic the wine is) the MORE K-meta you need to add. A pH of 7 = neutral. A pH of 3 is very acidic, a pH of 10 is very alkaline. I would expect most fruit wines to have a pH of around 3.00 - 5.00 (so all are typically "acidic").

pH is also important early on if you are not inoculating the must (the fruit juice) with an adequate colony of viable yeast. Solutions that are acidic inhibit bacterial activity. Those that are alkaline encourage bacterial activity. The key point though is that yeast will very swiftly create the environment that favors the yeast and disfavors any possible competitors (including other varieties of yeast) so a high pH must (alkaline) is not really a concern if you pitch at least one pack of yeast per batch (the total amount of yeast needed depends on volume AND starting gravity but most novice wine makers ignore that last factorand then are surprised that their wines show evidence of underpitching...

(Would Baking Soda Work?) in place of potassium carbonate/bicarbonate.

Yes it would work but could give a salty taste if you use more than a bit. Better to use potassium.

Calcium carbonate works well but can be a little difficult to clear sufficiently which can give it a chalky taste. I've used a LOT of the calcium carbonate in some of my citrus wines, but since I filter it I can get it clear with no problem or chalkiness.

Yes it would work but could give a salty taste if you use more than a bit. Better to use potassium.

Calcium carbonate works well but can be a little difficult to clear sufficiently which can give it a chalky taste. I've used a LOT of the calcium carbonate in some of my citrus wines, but since I filter it I can get it clear with no problem or chalkiness.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking by the reading I have been doing, and you told me the same thing so my thinking is more than likely correct. I dont do any kind of filtering, but Its only for my wife and I so It dont need to be pretty for us, So much to learn and remember at my age..

Latest posts

Back