Accidentally bought 2 row instead of extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teachtim

Reaction score
I brew extract all the time. In a rush to get ingredients I pulled two all grain recipes from this wonderful site. I converted part of the grain bill to extract but FAILED to remember that Two Row isn't a specialty grain that can be steeped.
I've read about partial mashing in the past 12 hours so I know all is not but I'm hesitant to try it.
So one recipe will have 8.25 lbs of two row with other specialty grains. The grains were milled yesterday at my LHBS and are all mixed in the same bag. The reason I'm hesitant to just follow partial mash instructions is that most only call for 2lbs of grain.
I don't see why I couldn't use 8 lbs but I wonder if it will mess the recipe I was trying to make.
After I mash I plan on doing the boil and adding the extract at flame out.
I'm either going to try it this way(I know a beer will result maybe just not the one I initially wanted) or toss the grains and buy an extra 6 lbs of extract.
Any advice is appreciated

I think you will be fine. Most of my batches have around 8-9 pounds of malt anyways. You just won't need much if any at all malt extract.

Oh yea, one more thing. Since you would be steeping/mashing the grains I would pick up a bottle of iodine. Steep for about 45 mins, pull some wort out, best if in a white cup or bowl and add a drop of iodine. If it turns black, keep steeping. If the iodine does not change colors when dropped in, starch conversion is complete and you can proceed to boil.

Side note, pull out just enough wort to barely cover the bottom of your white cup/dish/bowl/whatever. White works best because it's easier to see if the wort turns black or not.

Looks like it's time for you to read up on mashing and all grain brewing. Or brew 3 or 4 batches as partial mash. There's a small but significant difference between steeping and mashing you need to understand to prevent brewing failure.

If your kettle cannot hold 7 gallons of wort or your stove cannot boil that size, you could split and boil smaller quantities that you can boil. Then combine in the fermentor.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a pot large enough to hold the liquid. And stove top will be fine as well.
Thanks again.

Buy a 5 gallon paint strainer bag at Lowes or HD if you don't already have a sack. The paint strainer bags are nylon and can stand up to the heat, I use them all the time. Make sure to get the 5 gallon one, since that much grain won't fit in the 1 gallon size they also sell. The bag makes pulling the grains out of your pot a breeze at the end of mashing.

Thanks again for all of the help. Both batches have been brewed BIAB style. I did have a tough time keeping mash temps consistent in the first batch but my electronic thermometer was malfunctioning. Tonight's brew was much better. I was never more than 2 degrees off the mash temp from the recipe.
Beer that was brewed on Sunday was bubbling away nicely in the ferm fridge with the rootbeer I made on Friday. What a great 4 days of brewing!

Back