Acai Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerberbb

Reaction score
After watching a episode of Three Sheets this morning then running by the natural foods market, I have started thinking about making a beer with Acai berries. I noticed there is a wheat beer that has acai in it but was really wanting to look at making a stout. I have 4-5 bottles of Mona Vie laying around so what do you guys think? I figure make a sweet or oatmeal stout then rack to a secondary on top of juice.

you might not taste it much in a stout, but i guess it would make it more healthy and loaded antioxtidents

I have a feeling bkov is right, A oatmeal stout has some really bold flavors.
If you are looking just for the sweetness, I think you would get that.

But i would think the flavor would get lost in a beer that has roasted barley and chocolate in it. Two big flavors there.

Personally i would stick with a lighter beer, Blonde, Wheat, Cream Ale, Pilsner, etc...
If you keep the base light, the flavor and sweetness is going to shine.
Cant imagine its cheap, So you want to get the best bang for the buck.

Just my .02 cents
:off: OOOooOO I got to make me a oatmeal stout and a cream ale.....I am craving one now. :mug:

I am from Brazil and have had the pure Acai. The taste is earthy, strong, chocolaty.
The Acai berry have been described most often as a cross between raspberries and chocolate. (Raaspeberry-Chocolate Stout!?!?! Yummm!!!)

My current thought is to add to the secondary on a stout (or a porter). I think the ACAI, if pure pulp, will kill a lighter beer. Of course, if you want the flavor of the acai, it must be pure pulp and the quantity is the "devil is in the detail". A good test is to try your ACAI pulp in your yogurt and see how potent it is. Then come up with the amount you want to try on your beer.
Again, if int he secondary, the yeast won't eat it all up and a few weeks of conditioning should bring the flavors up.

Can you tell me if your acai beer worked well?
I am brewing a acai wheat beer and will add acai powder to the secondary but I am not sure if it will give me the flavor I am looking for. Ideas? Suggestions?

What if you just used some extract syrup instead of berries and use them at bottle. Then they dont get fermented out and the flavor will be more prominent.

Latest posts

Back