ABV testing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p38a

Reaction score
Is there a way to test the ABV after the brew is finished? I don't have a hygrometer... hydrometer... I forget which it is, so I can't be testing SG atm. Beyond that is there a way? Or should I just be quiet and enjoy a tasty brew lol

yea without a O.G reading you are pretty much screwed. I have a device that tests for ABV but its meant for way more than 5-8% and I dont think it would be accurate under 10. I would RDWAHAHB for the moment and get a hydrometer (or 5) :)

p38a said:
Is there a way to test the ABV after the brew is finished? I don't have a hygrometer... hydrometer... I forget which it is, so I can't be testing SG atm. Beyond that is there a way? Or should I just be quiet and enjoy a tasty brew lol
You know on second thought I have a tester here But it takes a minumim of 12 22oz bottles to get it right:D you can just send them to me:mug:
JJ

Place exactly 100 ml of ale in a beaker, note the temperature. Gently heat to 172F. It will stay at 172F until most of the alcohol has boiled off. When the temperature hits 180F, remove from heat and chill to exactly the original temperature. Measure volume again. The difference is the ABV.

I put a cup of brown sugar in a gallon or so of apple juice. Thats pretty much the recipe. Interesting technique David... now where's my Bunsen Burner :)

:mug:

Actually it's easier and more accurate to weight the sample before and after, if you have a digital scale.

Latest posts

Back