ABV measurement w fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
When adding a puree to the secondary, do you have to do anything different to determine the ABV since you are adding so much more sugar at a later atage after taking the OG (I presume some of the suspended yeast will continue to ferment this sugar, though not ad rapidly)?

I developed a simple calculator to work out the impact of fruit additions. If you calculate how much sugar you've added (either on the tin or generally you can get an estimate from an online source) then calculate the impact on gravity and then account for the additional gravity points in your recipe. This is how I do it. The calculations are reasonably easy and although not super accurate for most standard sized brews it should be within 1 or 2 gravity points which won't throw your abv out by a whole heap.

No worries - I can send you the calculator if you like. It's in open office but should be openable in excel too. Just pm me your email address and I will email it to you.

Back