Abv increase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney M

Reaction score
So I get how abv is calculated, and I get that adding more fermentables can increase it. What I do not understand is how one calculates a new abv when they add more fermentables later on to bring sg back up and dry out. What would the calculation be for that?

Thank you!

Abv is calculated from taking sg - fg, the sugars eaten by the yeast is what makes your abv%. You would add your gravity on your added fermentables to your sg and then subtract your final gravity from it.

1.050 SG
+1.010 added fermentables
--------------
1.060 actual SG
-1.005 FG
=
1.055 and then calculate abv from there, I use beersmith for this

Yes but I’m asking when some has already added fermentables before pithing yeast and then later decides to add more fermentables. How does that get calculated in?

Yes but I’m asking when some has already added fermentables before pithing yeast and then later decides to add more fermentables. How does that get calculated in?
Again, you add up all your fermentables regardless of when you put them in and then you subtract them from final gravity.

Just as @ratinator said. It's all about all of the sugar that ever makes it into the fermenter, doesn't matter if it got added after fermentation started. Just add up the total points, divide by volume in fermenter to get points per gallon, divide by 1000, and add 1.000 to get the OG you would have had if you put all the sugar in at the beginning. So, if your OG going into the fermenter was 1.050 @ a volume of 4.6 gal, then you started with 50 * 4.6 = 230 points. If you then added 1 lb of sugar (which has 46 pts/lb) then your total sugar in the fermenter was 230 + 46 = 276. Your resultant pts/gal is 276 / 4.6 = 60 pts/gal, which corresponds to an effective OG of 1.060.

Brew on :mug:

Just pretend like all the fermentables were in all the way from the beginning. Use software to find out how many points the additional fermentables added to your OG. Then consider that your new actual OG. Then measure for real the FG after new fermentables have fermented out. Simple as that.

Thank you guys for responding! Made it much easier to understand. I have a friend that’s been brewing and he didn’t even know the answer myself, glad I was already able to spread the knowledge you guys gave me! :tank:

Latest posts

Back