Absurdities in Russian Airliner Crashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Russia has had a bad safety record with airliners but there doesn't seem to be any web site tally. I thought I would list what crashes stick in my mind that had any connection to Russia and maybe others can add to it or correct me. Many are from the Air Disasters tv series.

I don't mean to demonize Russia; I have studied the language and visited there. They put us on an Aeroflot plane with a glass bombardier nose dome, and well there often seems to be some dark humor absurdist aspect to how aviation things unfold there.

Most recent Air Disasters covered a crash with their most elite pilots and equipment flying from Moscow to Hong Kong. Pilot put his young children in the cockpit and while distracted with the daughter, didn't notice his son in pilot seat yanking the controls until the autopilot partly switched off. Teen put it into high G maneuver so crew couldn't move to replace him for a while, then crew drove it into the ground via dumb moves in the confusion. Hundreds died, but the pilot and children are in a heros cemetery because Russians blamed Euro folks for designing non-childproof autopilot.

Oh, we know about recent bomb in a Russian airliner out of Somalia; I think the pilot said they put up with absurd airport security at that airport. Russia shot down an airliner over the Ukraine, and much earlier over a corner of Russia on the way to Korea. In the latter case, Air Disasters showed how the Russian fighter was pressured by Korean Air slowing down when leaving Russia so he had to either shoot prematurely or stall out of the sky.

The Russian supersonic airliner crashed when showing off at Paris Air show. Some plane with a lot of Russians was directed into a collision by a Swiss traffic controller oversight, who was then murdered by a Russian relative who got a short comfy prison stay. The Polish president crashed and died landing at a Russian military base which was ill equipped for rainy weather (the Polish pilot had been bullied by his own side into being less cautious though).

Finally there is one that I could have done myself. I'm not one to ride car brakes while driving, but a Russian pilot did just that due to odd factors. He crashed on takeoff, killing a famous sports team. He was very experienced with 2 similar airliners, where one had the brake/rudder footpedals hinged at the back vs the other hinged at front. He was used to resting his feet on the close hinge, but did it on the other model. He had a progressive foot numbness problem that also runs in my family, and let the brakes drag them just short of takeoff speed.

There were more, sometimes explained by their "Outdated legislation that muddles issues of accountability, corruption, and a general lack of safety culture...", but maybe still statistically safer then folks driving their own cars.

I read somewhere that in order to combat corrupt police, lots of Russian drivers have dash cams. If you end up in that part of YouTube, you can watch those dash cam videos for days on end. It seems like the Wild West over there. He who has the bigger gun (sometimes literally) wins.

If you end up in that part of YouTube, you can watch those dash cam videos for days on end.
Liveleak is another video source... somewhat edgier in showing gore. Search for thief or robber to find the coming olympic site Brazil in a war zone where police and citizens dish out ruthless street justice. Other parts of latin and south America are shown with less hard core vigilantes, such as stripping the bad guy and running him out of town naked.

I bet not a lot of folks follow the Air Disasters TV series, because it is one of the many Canadian subsidized documentaries with sloooow pacing. They covered some other national patterns such as a Korean co-pilot syndrome where he would observe the head pilot making a fatal mistake yet still defer and not speak up. They get assertiveness training now.

I thought I saw a French pattern of "uncommon sense". Airliner departs from a remote island with fuel gauge reading empty because "it must be broken". Run out of fuel 45 min later, then glide back for a brilliant landing. Another crash had the black boxes slowly burning up with police preventing their recovery. Only aviation officials should touch them due to recent court squabble, but in their absence everyone else just watched them burn to destruction. And the blaming of a US airliner for their Concorde crash on the skimpiest evidence... might not be a real pattern though.

Another Air Disasters episode about Russian (Moldovian) pilots smashing a Swiss airliner into ground confetti over a confusion of turning right vs. left. Pilot who is abusing antidepressants tries to switch to a left hand turn, but misreads the turn indicator and misunderstands the ground controller to conclude he has to correct to extreme right.

Russian turn indicators from his training look backwards from western ones in his airliner (artificial horizons with fixed horizon vs fixed airplane). He knows the basic english of intnl aviation, but not enough to deal with his alarmed copilot and ground control in unfamiliar nighttime situation. They flip over and all passengers die. That Swiss airline (not SwissAir) decides to give Russian pilots 3 months extra training (pilot shortage elsewhere) and some other steps which my DVR garbled.

I have some sympathy with the pilot because yaw indicators were opposite in my powerplane vs sailplane lessons, and I could hardly adapt to the change. Also I think the Russian fixed-horizon, floating aircraft indicator is slightly more intuitive. But stay off the pills and booze, and copilots be more assertive to overpower whacko pilots!

I remember flying a Tupolev airliner between Finland and Russia with its sinister plexiglass nose cone meant for double duty as a bomber. Wiki has a very interesting list of it's accidents at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-154#List although with a claim it's accident rate wasn't out of line. But scan it's bigger accidents that kill 60-200 people and tell me if you don't think the causes are downright weird.

Many of them were shot down, more than once by their own side! It killed the president of Poland, and very recently a large official army choir which led to all Tu-154 being grounded. More than once the crew accidentally shut off fuel valves mid air and crashed. Several times it followed fatally flawed air traffic directions (some controllers given long prison sentences). China banned the aircraft after several crashes due to maintenance mistakes. Various crashes from overloading or imbalance (even in flight, like from unwise fuel transfers).

Other Tupolev airliner models with bombardier noses have accident lists at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-134#Accidents_and_incidents and https://aviation-safety.net/database/types/Tupolev-104/losses . Both were eventually withdrawn due to accidents, although the latter continued on as a VIP shuttle until it killed a large group of them.

==================================================

I have shifted my interest to light plane crashes, which also has a high accident rate with weird causes. Youtube has a bunch of re-creations of such incidents with the real radio recordings. I have sympathy with the pilots because I took flying lessons as a clueless 15 yr old, soloing before I could legally drive a car. One lesson from the youtubes that I wish I could tell my young self is don't let yourself be bullied by ground control which sometimes has a skewed agenda in a crisis... you are the captain.

Here are 2 examples where I could dig up the youtube links if interested. There is a long (BBC?) documentary of a non-flying elderly passenger having to take over the controls from a dead pilot in a tiny plane. In the fading light, they could have talked him down to his little home airport, but they bullied him to a distant airport with all the shiny equipment to scrape his remains off the pavement. This meant almost total darkness, and he couldn't find the light switch for his instruments which was blocked by the dead body.

The new airport had just a trace of light so he initially had a chance to keep the wings level vs the horizon, but they bullied him into landing into a short runway because of slightly better wind direction. Of course it was botched, and then he was in complete blackout to endlessly circle and try for the longer runway. It is incredibly hard to know which way is up without instruments (John Kennedy crashed this way even with instruments), and in spite of a helicopter flying alongside it was near impossible. It's all done in a gentlemanly way with the radio and video snippets, but I wanted to scold them in spite of their eventual success.

Another youtube had a guy flying (alone?) in patchy clouds when the instrument panel went dark. It would have been easy for him to spiral down thru odd bits of blue and save himself, but the ground controllers wanted him to choose this or that straight line to various nearby airports. Of course that way he can avoid other air traffic in an organized way, but it led to him being forced into a big cloud, losing orientation, and crashing. Reminds me about the near failure of dropping the second atomic bomb. The crew couldn't spot their target thru the clouds and against orders wandered around to the point where fuel was too short to bring the bomb back. This infinitely precious war-ending bomb would have to be ditched in the sea or a random forest. But at the last moment they had a tiny glimpse of Nagasaki, and popped the bomb into the outer suburbs which just barely convinced the emperor that the game was up.

While russian air safety isn't all that, you haven't been properly scared of flying until you get to fly between two islands in indonesia on a local plane company.....

you haven't been properly scared of flying until you get to fly between two islands in indonesia on a local plane company.....
Sounds like an interesting story there. Years ago I flew their Garuda airline on a trijet with a bad safety reputation from LA to Bali, via a fuel stop on a nearly deserted Indonesian island. Some locals lined the runway looking like cannibals, maybe paid by a tourism bureau to add local color. The pilot sounded and flew like a wild cowboy; he firewalled the engines BEFORE turning on the runway, and the outside tires squealed just like some of the passengers from side G forces. But I was naively content due to the really low rates Garuda charged.

The only time I had the sense to be scared was in sailplane lessons. Not on our first emergency landing (after the instructor had warned me "You couldn-ta pickt a worser day!"). He suddenly ran out of altitude and screamed into the least bumpy area downwind. The next day I saw duct tape repairs on fabric fuselage near the main tire. The scary landing was after a tow rope broke while we were climbing 45 degrees up. I don't get why the instructor didn't first drop the nose to regain flying speed, but he U turned first and then dropped the nose for a potentially back-breaking downwind landing. I guess he was avoiding barbed wire in the upwind direction. In this case I did end my sailplane lessons in spite of them being extremely cheap.

Back