About to pitch Roeselare, have a question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsefkow

Reaction score
Hi Homebrewtalk,

Long time reader, first time poster!

This is my first attempt at a sour. The base is an all-grain brown ale and I added brett, 4 lbs of tart cherries, and 3 lbs of currants at secondary. The batch was 5 gallons and I forgot to account for the added extras, and now the brew is near the top of the 6.5 gallon carboy (see pic)!

It has been 2 months and I'm about to add Lacto and Pedio (via Roeselare) and Russian River supplication bottle dregs. The primary and secondary fermentation are both clearly most of the way over.

My question is, out of worry for making a giant mess and landing in the doghouse, do I have enough headroom to be pitching the bugs or should I rack into another secondary and get some more headroom first? I don't know what to expect in terms of whether it will start back up, generate foam or pellicle, or otherwise create a headache.

Thanks!

20141003_093314.jpg

@2 months you should be fine. I've never noticed any foam or a traditional active fermentation when adding a secondary yeast besides a pelicle of some sort

You are fine. The Roeselare will work very slowly.

You should have come here a couple of months ago, we would have recommended using the Roeselare in the primary fermentation, and adding the fruit after about 6 to 8 months. That way it would have soured quicker.

Latest posts

Back