About to buy 1st kit... Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I started doing those small Mr. Beer kits buy now i'm about to purchase a bigger/better kit.

I want to do 5 gal recipes. mosty IPA stuff.

I'm thinking getting this...
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Starte...ng+Starter+Kit

Also a buy 5 gal Stainless Steel Brewing Pot. Would this boil on my electric stove top? or do I need to buy something?

Any advice/tips?

I'm think i'm gonna do a clone recipe 1st. then if that goes well i might head to the local shop and create my own.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos.

Thanks for any help

The link didn't work for me, but most starter kits I've seen have all you need besides the kettle.

If you're doing a full 5 gallon boil on your stove, you may have to wait a while for the wort to start boiling, also, you may not even be able to get a good rolling boil going. My advice is to get a gas burner, I use the Bayou Classic and it only takes about 10 minutes to get a violent boil. Gotta watch those boilovers at hot break though, it gets a lot more dangerous with a cooker

Edit: get a bigger kettle than just 5 gallons if you're going full boil, an 8 gallon kettle would do, you need the headspace for those boilovers

^ Thanks. So using a gas burner, would that mean I would have to boil outside for ventilation?

Hi Saeroner,
As with Roastquake, your link did not work for me either.

That being said, there are a lot of options out there for great brewing kits.

Personally, I recommend starting at a Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) near you. It's always good to support the local economy, and the shop owner will be a great resource to ask questions and point you in the right direction. Oftentimes, unless you get free shipping, the local store prices are quite comparable to online vendors. I would simply google a local store near you (or, if you post where you live, I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations).

If there isn't a LHBS near you, you can always go to one of the larger online retailers. Personally, I tend to shop from Midwest Supplies (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/). However, there are lots of options. Other popular options include (but are NOT limited to) Northern Brewer (www.northernbrewer.com/‎), MoreBeer (www.morebeer.com/‎) and Austin Homebrew (www.austinhomebrew.com/‎) Some of those shops offer free or reduced rate shipping on larger orders, which a beginners kit is likely to qualify for.

As Roastquake noted, you may wish to get a pot larger than 5 gallons for a full boil. 7.5 to 10 gallon pots tend to be the norm. However, don't be afraid of using a smaller pot and smaller boils on your first few brews. I ALWAYS advocate that you should try the hobby first before investing a ton of $$ into new equipment. If you have a 3 or 4 gallon stainless steel pot at home, you're good to go.

You asked if those would work on your electric stovetop .. . the answer is a hearty "it depends" . . . if you have a top of the line, high energy stove top, yes, they will work. If you're brewing on a lower grade electric stovetop (as most of us here own), you'll want to look into getting a different option for your brew IF you want to do full (6-8 gallon) boils. My personal preference runs to the good old Turkey Fryer. You can pick up a decent turkey fryer at Home Depot (or similar) store for under $50, and they usually come with a nice Aluminum Pot. Now, there are lots of opinions on here regarding the use of aluminum pots, and I'm not here to start a war (it'll happen anyhow) . .. but my view is, if you use it for NOTHING BUT BREWING BEER, and you keep it clean, with a proper oxide layer (many posts here to tell you how to do that . . . I generally advocate boiling water in a full pot for an hour), you're fine brewing in aluminum.

If you have other questions, feel free to come back. Welcome to the hobby!

My LHBS sells starter kits. Basically everything in one convenient box. Everything except the kettle, which you could buy there if you wanted.

But yeah, propane turkey fryer (and outside) is a good investment, and usually fairly cheap.

You'll want to use a proprane burner outside for ventilation. If you'd prefer to brew inside you can get recipe kits from several places that use a smaller amount of water and then top it off to get your final gravity and final batch size. I tried doing an all grain brew inside and couldn't get that much water to boil.

^ Thanks. So using a gas burner, would that mean I would have to boil outside for ventilation?

Yes. An outdoor turkey fryer with a kettle was the best investment I made in brewing. When I started out, I bought a 5 gallon kettle and brewed in my kitchen.

After about 12 brews like that, I got one of THESE. The kettle is big enough for any 5 gallon batch. It heats water in a fraction of the time... and it's just easier setting up in the backyard. I pull up a lawchair, open a beer, and brew away from the kitchen. The wife likes this MUCH BETTER as well - so bonus there.

Lots of good advice here.

Just a word on pot size -- I would highly recommend going with a 10 gallon pot. I know it sounds huge, I thought the same thing when I was starting out, knowing that I'd never want to brew more than a 5 gallon batch. The thing is, though, if you ever want to do a full boil (i.e. not a concentrated boil where you top off with a few gallons of cold water in the fermenter) you'll be glad to have that extra room -- you pot will need to accomodate 6.5+ gallons of water (to allow for boil off and trub loss), plus extract, and then be able to handle foaming when the hops are tossed in. I do 5 gallon extract batches in my 10 gallon pot on a Bayou Classic propane burner outside, and I still get occasional boil overs.

Also I note you mentioned getting a stainless steel brew pot -- I won't try to convince you that aluminum is the better way to go, but if your budget allowed you to get only a 5 gallon stainless or a 10 gallon aluminum, I'd definitely recommend going with the 10 gallon pot. I went with a cheap aluminum 10 gallon pot from a kitchen supply store and have been very happy with it.

[EDIT: As noted below, you couldn't go wrong with a pot larger than 10 gallons (I've sometimes wished I'd gone with at 15 gallon), I'd just make that the minimum if you're going to have to buy a pot anyway]

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! 10 gallon would probably be the minimum size. I have a 10 gallon pot and wish I would have gone for a 15 or even 20 gallon pot.

If you have an electric stove with the old style coil heating elements,go to my profile. I have a link to some better ones,large & small that will go from mash temp to boiling of 3.5 gallons in a 5G SS kettle in about 18 minutes. I've used the same 5G SS stock pot from AE kit-n-kilo to PB/PM BIAB. bytw,the link no longer goes to a page they have...:drunk:

Assuming you are going to be making extract batches then stove top boiling will probably work. If you are going to be doing 5 gallon all grain batches then definately get the propane burner and 10 gallon pot

Back