About to brew first ever beer... one final question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moshmeister

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to brew my first beer and have a quick question about my steriliser before I go ahead!

I'm using VWP and am confused about how much to use. It says 1-2 teaspoons per gallon which is fine, but I've read contradicting advice that says once you've made the gallon up and poured it in, then fill the rest of the fermenting vessel with cold water.

But surely this dilutes the VWP so much that it's ineffective? Should I use more VWP or should I slosh the gallon around so all surfaces have been splashed?

Thanks in advance!

Mosh

I would follow the instructions on the tub, normally with sanitizer the ratio of water is very important to ensure effective santization, no more no less. So don't over dilute.

Normally you can make a smaller volume of sanitizer up than the volume of the fermenter and put the lid on and simply shake the fermenter so all the internal surfaces get contact.

This saves on sanitizer. I also suggest you swap to a non-rinse sanitizer in furture which will be both more sanitary and less labour intensive.

I do the slosh method, it works fine. Have a container that you can pour it into, you'll need to have some on hand to sterilize odds and ends.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm planning to put the steriliser and water in the fermentation vessel then throw all other bits in there.

Rhumbline - what is the "Slosh" method exactly? Is it the shaking that Queequeg suggests or something different? And if so, how long should one do this to ensure the higher parts are adequately sanitised?

Thanks again

I use a spray bottle of sanitizer to sanitize, saves alot on usage. Never had an infection.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm planning to put the steriliser and water in the fermentation vessel then throw all other bits in there.

Rhumbline - what is the "Slosh" method exactly? Is it the shaking that Queequeg suggests or something different? And if so, how long should one do this to ensure the higher parts are adequately sanitised?

Thanks again

I just dump a couple gallons of water in the fermenter, mix in the sanitizer, and splash it up to cover all the inside surfaces. I then pour a cup or so into the lid resting over the sink to get it covered.

I pour the rest into a container and put all the other bits into it. turn the fermenter upside down to drain and you're all set. As long as you splash the sanitizer onto the surface, it will be fine after a minute or so.

Thanks again guys, that's answered my questions - much appreciated.

Out of interest, why do you use a different container for the other bits? Couldn't you you just throw the other bits into the FV when the sanitiser liquid is in there?

Yes you can but you need some santizer on hand during the brewing in the event that something gets contaminated e.g you drop a syphon or measuring jug on the floor.

I recommend you sanitize all the things you can in the FV, then keep the run off in a seperate container as a dip if you need it, you can also keep smaller items in this container until they are need, things like the air lock. It's also handy to have a spray bottle of sanitizer on hand too.

Back