About San Miguel Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldfashioncenter

Reaction score
About San Miguel Beer
San Miguel Beer is a brand carried by San Miguel Corporation (SMC), Southeast Asia's largest publicly listed food, beverage and packaging company. It is first established in 1890 as a brewery by Spaniards. The words “San Miguel” came from Spanish, originally meaning “look into the distance; expect and hope”.

As one of the top beer brands in Philippines, San Miguel Beer was being exported from its headquarters in Manila to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guam. A pioneer in Asia, San Miguel established a brewery in Hong Kong in 1948, the first local brewer in the crown colony. In order to exploit its Mainland market, San Miguel came to Guangzhou in 1934. Thus, Guangzhou San Miguel Brewery Company Limited established as required as a joint venture between Hong Kong San Miguel (Guangdong) Limited and Guangzhou Brewery, with its production base located in the largest industrial zone of Guangzhou, a neighborhood of the most active Footwear as well as Leather business areas in China.
Nowadays, due to the government’s policy of “Reduce the secondary industry to develop the tertiary industry”, secondary industry gradually withdraws from urban areas to make the development of creative industry possible. In response to the policy, the manufacturing base of Guangzhou San Miguel Brewery Company Limited has moved to its new premises San Miguel (Guangdong) Foods and Beverages Company, Limited (SMGFB) in Shunde district. Instead, its original base Guangzhou brewery is now rebuilt into a creative district as the design centre of Original Element Creative Industries, a district focus on footwear design and leather goods design with its products characterized by China element, a synthetic fashion base with design center, engineer center, ICT center and management center, a new project aimed at networking designers and fashion Organization from across the world in addition to providing linkages to OEDC projects providing enterprise supporting and engages in the maintenance, development and promotion of the fashion industries business both in domestic and foreign markets, becoming the hotspot among international giant fashion creative industries corporations.

We went to the Philippines 10 yrs ago, SWMBO is from there, had a few there, thought it was decent.

The last time I had a San Miguel was on Camp Coiner just before heading to Iteawon to drink and OB!

Oh Baby!

Nowadays, due to the government’s policy of “Reduce the secondary industry to develop the tertiary industry”,

I hate when this happens! Damn government always trying to reduce secondary industry. I mean come on, haven't they realized that tertiary industry is not to be trusted? The tertiary industrial complex must be destroyed so that secondary, and even more important, primary, industry can once again flourish.

I drank a lot of it when I was in Olongapo, P.I. Wasn't bad at all. Of course now I am getting spoiled to homebrew. I have a lot of friends who homebrew.

San Miguel isn't bad. I have a bunch of Filipino's who work for me and they often taken me to local Filipino restaurants.

BTW does anyone have an AG recipe for this?

The words “San Miguel” came from Spanish, originally meaning “look into the distance; expect and hope”.

Wow!! Did they mean that? What dicctionary did they use? I speak spanish and can not find that meaning anywhere in "San Miguel".

Anyway, here, in the Bask Country, San Miguel is the comercial cheap beer you can find anywhere, I think you could compare it with Bud or something similar in the US (I've never been there and never drank US Bud so I might be totally wrong). It stinks and tastes bad even though is not the worst beer you can drink here. You should try Cruzcampo, the first bile-tasting and rotten egg-aroma beer in the world.

Okay I feel bad now. I'll buy a sixer and give it a shot next time it's hot out.

I would pass, unless you are in the Phils. It used to be good beer, but back in the eighties, they stopped exporting the good stuff to the US. We get the crap beer now. It is still good there, and every time I visit, I enjoy it.
A buddy of mine and I would split a six pack a few times a week. The first one we tasted after they changed the export, we looked at each other, shook our heads, and that was it.
Same thing after Lowenbrau moved to Waco, Texas. Fail.

I don't speak Spanish, but something tells me that "San Miguel" means "Saint Michael."

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Miguel, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Anyway, here, in the Bask Country, San Miguel is the comercial cheap beer you can find anywhere, I think you could compare it with Bud or something similar in the US (I've never been there and never drank US Bud so I might be totally wrong). It stinks and tastes bad even though is not the worst beer you can drink here. You should try Cruzcampo, the first bile-tasting and rotten egg-aroma beer in the world.

cruzcampo isnt that bad, from what i remember it was just your typical pilsner brewed for the masses.

however when i was in madrid last, mahou was a decent beer. i especially liked the draft system used in most bars.

Latest posts

Back