AB Super Bowl Ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion about the commercial, but I thought it was fine for what it was. It looked to me like a commercial trying to sell a specific beer brand. Forget the other brands it owns. They weren't selling to the people that drink those brands. They were selling to people who drink Bud.

And for what it's worth... we make fun of BMC and the people who drink BMC all the time on this board. You can't take a jab at craft beer?

...and pumpkin peach sounds gross.

They do make super light beer VERY consistently

I take super satisfying craps VERY consistently as well.

... and they do make good commercials

That's big business for you...

More money is spent on branding/marketing to cater to what Sheep will buy (successful companies like with this mindset get very rich in the long haul) vs. focusing on the actual quality of the product (at the expense of reduced profits).

There's no love and creativity when it comes to Budweiser. Many decent homebrewers can clone Budweiser, and most can do a muchhhhhh better job.

My favorite quote that came out of this whole story:

"That macro beer commercial reminds me of politicians who preach family values then have a mistress and illegitimate child on the side."

My stepson is a BMC drinker... two or three, or four each evening so he could escape from his day. For the past two years I've been whittling away at him, trying to convert him to a craft beer drinker so that he'd appreciate what he's drinking instead of simply relying on it.

And I was SO CLOSE!

Then he saw that commercial. Time to think of a new strategy.

It didn't hurt my feelings any.. they are just trying to hold onto their market share with that brand. I mean it is a more difficult style to brew properly and consistently (because there's nothing for off flavors to hide behind), but i don't consider it the beer of hard working people... I thought that was Porter

Folks you don't get how great that commercial really was. We are still talking about it.

I think the old adage of "even bad publicity is good publicity" really only applies to smaller or more unknown companies/people just trying to get their name out their on people's tongues. A quick search on the internet about this commercial leads to links on dozens of well respected sites talking about the bad decision Budweiser made or the backlash from the ad. So far I seem to see mostly negative opinions on Budweisers choice to go with such an ad, especially given their actions of buying up successful microbreweries. The irony is just too strong there.

Personally I don't think it was a good decision on their part and won't lead to any positive results. Current customers probably would stay with Bud anyway. Most people that I've known that drank it did so for a very simple reason - very inexpensive and very well known name. Many of those same people would not be willing to spend $1.50-$2.00 on a 12oz beer.

Rev.

That's big business for you...

More money is spent on branding/marketing to cater to what Sheep will buy (successful companies like with this mindset get very rich in the long haul) vs. focusing on the actual quality of the product (at the expense of reduced profits).

Welcome to America! The auto industry used this exact model for years.

Actually, it works pretty well. :D

I think the old adage of "even bad publicity is good publicity" really only applies to smaller or more unknown companies/people just trying to get their name out their on people's tongues. A quick search on the internet about this commercial leads to links on dozens of well respected sites talking about the bad decision Budweiser made or the backlash from the ad. So far I seem to see mostly negative opinions on Budweisers choice to go with such an ad, especially given their actions of buying up successful microbreweries. The irony is just too strong there.
You'll always find more negative publicity on the internet when it impacts only one segment. Most people who usually drink BMC probably never gave the commercial a second glance. Most probably have no idea AB owns or sells beer other than Bud and Bud Light. The only way people on the BMC side talk about the ad is if they've had a BMC vs craft argument with a pretentious "craft beer *********." So yes, there's going to be a ton more pro-craft stuff on the net.

Who will the ad reach? The few people that feel craft beer is over priced, over hyped, and doesn't appeal to their tastes. That's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes.

Apart from the deliberate smack at the craft market, from a business perspective it's interesting to see marketing of the PRODUCT, not some hokey ad simply to maintain brand recognition. This is a MASSIVE shift. Before they started losing market share to craft beer, BMC only had to worry about getting enough brand recognition to pull a tenth of a percent of sales away from brand X to their brand. Because the product differences were minimal, there was no real gain in product marketing, only brand or useless things like big mouth cans. They now have to go back to marketing differences.

With massively different choices now on the market now we'll continue to see more product-centered ads from BMC that will probably slap around craft beer some more. If you make an American Adjunct Light Lager, you need to play to your "strengths." In their realm... light, easy drinking, not pretentious, predictable, etc.

You'll always find more negative publicity on the internet when it impacts only one segment. Most people who usually drink BMC probably never gave the commercial a second glance.

You'll always find more negative sentiment period - simply because it's human nature to more likely complain when something upsets you than praise when something pleases. Sort of like how the large majority of hotel/restaurant/product reviews usually don't take the time to post a review when they are pleased but instantly jump to a review first and foremost when they are unhappy.

That aside, you said it right there in the quote above - "Most people who usually drink BMC probably never gave the commercial a second glance"... so what was the point of the commercial then? To alienate craft beer drinkers and those that might be just starting to delve into it? All the while buying up successful craft breweries? It just looks foolish, and insulting considering the very recent Elysian buy and the Pumpkin Peach Pecan beer they made.

All in all, in my eyes it just looks like a really stupid move on Bud's part. I honestly can't see how it's going to promote them for the better.

Rev.

All in all, in my eyes it just looks like a really stupid move on Bud's part. I honestly can't see how it's going to promote them for the better.

Nope, it didn't make anyone buy more product. When your brand is Budweiser and make billions of dollars a year, you don't really crap about dollars and sense.

I saw the following posted on Facebook by a local craft beer blog. I'm not sure I buy into the whole "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" rationalization. So "Pumpkin Peach Ale" was really just pulled out of some marketing guy's butt while they just so happened to be buying a brewery that made that very beer? Was the Elysian buyout also not several months in the making?

"The whole AB-InBev Budweiser commercial during the Super Bowl has set off some interesting comment and analysis, but the one that's driving me nuts is the one that centers on "I can't believe they busted on Pumpkin Peach Ales when the brewery they just bought (Elysian) makes one."

I don't know why Pumpkin Peach Ales were chosen for ridicule (I'm assuming the alliteration), but drawing any meaningful connection between the ad and the sale of Elysian says more about the ignorance of the speaker than anything resembling a fact. It's like sitting on the toilet and taking credit for the turd hitting the water. Yeah, they both happened but there wasn't much skill or planning required by anyone to make it happen. It's just how those things go.

Do you know how long it takes to get an ad with the visibility of a Super Bowl ad made? Hint: the discussions about next year's ad have already started. Likely for a couple of months already. There probably isn't a script yet, but serious work is already being done. The sale of Elysian wasn't announced until two weeks ago. Those things clearly take a while as well, but there's no reason to believe that anyone working on the ad were ever aware of the existence of the people who were working on buying Elysian. If anyone ever made the connection (I'm guessing someone did) they were already way too far down the tracks (and probably too far down the food chain) to do much about it.

That, in itself, is a good reason to hate sales like this one. People talk in vague terms about the "soulless corporations" and the "soul of craft beer" and stuff like that. This is a concrete example of what folks are talking about when they say this. These huge corporations aren't bureaucracies, they're multiple bureaucracies shoved together in ways that make no sense and don't talk to each other. They survive because no matter how stupid one small group of people might be, no one is stupid enough to bring the whole thing crashing down. People say "too big to fail" but they always leave out "even though they richly deserve to." Any given person can be stupid, but to really do it right form a committee and have a bunch of meetings.

My only point is that when you rip Darth Vader's mask off, the face that's waiting for you is Dilbert's Pointy-Haired Boss. That's a good enough reason to hate the sale all by itself, but saying "gotcha" as the result of the left hand of a huge corporation not knowing what the right is doing kind of makes you look as stupid and clueless as them.

And they have more money. In their way of accounting for it, they won."

If I had as much money as ABinbev does I would pull 4.5 million dollar practical jokes on my friends all the time.

Well, it's more like a 10-15 million dollar jokey, production costs and all.

But the idea that Bud throws 15 Million dollar checks around without thinking they're going to get a monetary return is a little off the mark anyway...

http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2015/01/ninkasi-tells-anheuser-busch-to-take.html?m=1
This makes it even better.

And the Carhart commercial was definitely the inspiration for the bud commercial. Either it was the same ad agency or someone saw the commercial and copied it. Of course Carhart is part of a big conglomerate also so I don't really care if they pi$$ all over each other, but there is still a principal involved.

Heard there was an uproar over a Bud commercial. Finally got to see it thanks to this thread and realized "oh yeah, I saw that one". I'm probably not a member of the target audience. The most brilliant thing in the add is that they reinforced the fact that it is not cool to sniff Budweiser and I don't think you will find a dissenting opinion anywhere.

Young people going out to drink some Buds together. Roughly 80 cuts in a 60 second commercial. "The Hard Way." Beechwood-aged. Making fun of beer snobs - because let's be honest: Beer Advocate, in addition to being a great resource for detailed info on commercial beers, is one of the most grating, hoity-toity websites on the internet today. The AB-InBev marketing department can't be paid enough for the contributions they've made to creating the world's biggest beer-hemoth.

There's no hypocrisy in making fun of the craft beer crowd in a Budweiser ad. They're not advertising AB-InBev. They're advertising Budweiser beer. Defining their product, even at the expense of making fun of their sister products, isn't hypocrisy, it's just directed advertising.

Quoted for truth

29.gif
They do make super light beer VERY consistently... and they do make good commercials, IMO.
23.gif

And this is another good commercial from Bud.

Hell, when is the last time so many people on this site spent time talking and thinking about Bud? Really, I don't find what they said insulting, but then again, I give them a lot of credit for brewing a consistent product. I brew my beer for my tastes, not for public approval. Bud is not my style, or my preference, but not really my place to say.

Hell if you like IPA's does that mean all brewers who brew RIS are the enemy?

People have a hard-on for Bud and saying they are terrible. Well those terrible brewers are rolling in the dough and have been for years. They have more history and consistency then most of others out there.

Now I'm not a bud drinker, and I never was. Last night I opened my night with a New England Brewing Company Sea Hag and then enjoyed a few Weyerbacher Merry Monks.

That was my choice, my preference.

If you want to sit back and drink a bud, more power to you... Not my business.

Everyone, just relax sit back and enjoy a brew... stop worrying about what others are drinking.

Just my 2 cents

WSTBrewing

Back