AB InBev minority holder in PicoBrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another sellout that will cause the craft beer "community" no end of angst. I won't even LOOK at anther craigslist ad for a used PiceBrew after this.
What's next, ABInBev taking over Homebrew Talk?

Edit: The above was supposed to be totally sarcastic.

That first link doesn't resolve for me, but the second one talks about ABIs partnership with Keurig and has nothing to do with Picobrew at all.

Hmm, you didn't read close enough. Here's the next to last paragraph from link 2:

"It’s unclear whether or not the company will look to design an in-home beer production system, but it’s worth noting that Anheuser-Busch, via its ZX Ventures “disruptive growth” division, has already made a minority investment in PicoBrew Inc., an automatic all-grain homebrewing appliance, A-B spokeswoman Gemma Hart confirmed."

And here's the first paragraph from the first link:

"Zx Ventures, the private equity investment arm of Anheuser Busch InBev’s global disruption unit, has a minority stake in PicoBrew, countertop homebrewing appliance often ballyhooed as “Keurig of homebrew,” the co confirmed today. That confirmation came at same time as announcment of ABI’s new JV with Keurig Green Mountain to develop an “in-home alcohol drink system,” as reported in sister-pubs INSIGHTS Express and Beverage Business INSIGHTS earlier today. But for craft lovers, investment in PicoBrew likely to generate a bit more interest as it represents at least the 3d investment by ABI’s Zx into innovations targeted at expanding accessibility to home beer making."

Ah... I stand corrected. Thanks. I have a Z already, but I'll now not be buying anything material from Picobrew on principle. Thankfully, with the Z, they don't get any significant revenue once the initial sale is done.

Not surprised given ABIs tentacles reaching into all levels of the beer industry and not terribly upset either. However, I don't like their business practices so won't buy their products - it's pretty much as simple as that.

The first article appears to be written from the second. If the second article is accurate, what a minority investment is not defined. It could be very little or if could be up to 49. On the facebook page for Picobrewers Denny said the article is false based on conversations with the Picobrew folks. So I am not sure what this all means and it could be much ado about nothing.

PicoBrew's CEO Bill Mitchell basically just neither confirmed nor denied the investment by AB InBev in a statement on the FaceBook group so take that however you want. Unfortunately sounds like it's true.

This is a total downer if true. The problem, as a zymatic owner, is that it's use is dependent on Picobrew's server and back-end engineering. If they get bought out by ABI and they decide the revenue from Z sales is inadequate and discontinue it, then we'll have perfectly good machines that can't do a damn thing.

This is a total downer if true. The problem, as a zymatic owner, is that it's use is dependent on Picobrew's server and back-end engineering. If they get bought out by ABI and they decide the revenue from Z sales is inadequate and discontinue it, then we'll have perfectly good machines that can't do a damn thing.

Seems similar to the strategy presently being employed with the Pico C + (or minus) Still:
1) Ridiculously low prices on both units, accessories and the unlimited/2 month PicoPak program.
2) Much closer to retail pricing immediately following the short (record setting) Kickstarter campaign while at the same time pulling all access to accessories/brewPak plans for eager (present) Pico C customers.
3) Make the long dollar at launch on the suddenly much more expensive machines, accessories and brew plans...'or'...claim poverty by intentionally exceeding any reasonable price point on all; while creating nothing but a formerly or lightly sold (profitable) niche product with little competition in machines or even (potentially) brewery provided self brew paks.

It'll be a smart investment for BigBrew if they keep playing their cards as they have (obviously and always) to the detriment of home brewing.

Back