A31 Tartan Imperial Yeast -- fermentation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS to pick up some Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast for use in a 80/- Scottish Export. They were out and instead of picking up some White Labs 028 Scottish Ale yeast the guy there recommended Imperial A31 Tartan. I've been wanting to give Imperial yeast a try so I went with it. Figured I could search for the yeast and get all the info I could possibly desire. I'm not seeing very much info about this particular strain at all.

When I use 1728 I ferment it right at 55F. It works really well at that temp and provides a very clean fermentation, with slight hints of smokiness (I don't use peat smoked or any other kind of smoked malt).

So Imperial says to ferment this yeast between 65-70F. I know you can often ferment below the manufacturers recommended temps provided you make a large starter, oxyginate well and control temps (temp swings kill lower than average temp fermentations).

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has used A31 Tartan with a 55F fermentation temp?

If not I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Making a starter this week for use this weekend and will have, hopefully, fermented beer two weeks after that.

If it's a proper Scottish strain it should have no problem going down to 60F at least, I wouldn't sweat it.

If it's a proper Scottish strain it should have no problem going down to 60F at least, I wouldn't sweat it.
Yeah I'm going for it unless someone specifically tells me that they've tried it with this yeast and it didn't work. I'll report back with my results.

Made my starter tonight.

I like the cans!

I use a lot of 1469. I see on a conversion chart A05 Four Square is the same yeast but it is not listed on their website right now. I'd love to give that a shot.

Bit of a delay here.

So, I emailed Imperial yeast asking about their recommended fermentation temps for this yeast. They called back and explained that this yeast is genetically identical to Wyeast's 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast and that anything I've done with 1728 I should be able to do with this yeast.

I fermented at 55F.

OG 1.045
FG 1.010
4.6%abv

Not quite as good attenuation as I've gotten generally with 1728. But it fermented just fine at 55F. I used a different hop in my Scottish Ale this time, so it's hard to know if the subtle differences in flavor are from the hops or the yeast, but either way I like this batch.

Back