A Thank You to Mendocino Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimstuff

Reaction score
[Mods: this is a re-post from the California/Events forum, which I realized is probably not the appropriate place for the thread, so I'm posting it again here. Sorry for the double posting.]

So I just brewed up a 15-gallon batch of Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale for a family camping trip and all the sudden realized I didn't have any bottle caps (I know, I should be kegging, but I'm earning my Certificate in Cheap Bastard Brewing).

Living up here in Ukiah I have apparently zero resources for homebrew supplies, and so on a whim decided to contact the Mendocino Brewing Company to see if anyone down there knew of where I could get some bottle caps locally. An hour later I get a call and am told that they have some caps for me.

I drive down to the brewery. I'm expecting a small bag of caps set aside for the pitiful little homebrewer who forgot to order them with his grains. I go into the office and meet John Scahill, one of the founders of the company. He tells me to meet him out back near the dumpsters. Whereupon I see two pallets full of 10,000-unit cases full of caps. The label is no longer used, so he says take as much as I want, and if there are any other homebrewers in the area, that they can come and take some as well. He says he used to be a homebrewer long ago and didn't want to throw them away because he knew there were people out there who could use them.

And that's how I got enough caps (20,000) to last me well beyond the time that I'll spend bottling before moving over to kegging.

So I wanted to share that with the other norcal homebrewers here, and to express my appreciation for John Scahill and the Mendocino Brewing Company for their generosity.

--David

smart guy...He just developed a strong advocate for his company with a good story, free of charge. Fortuitous call on your part. Maybe I should start calling breweries and make sure they don't have any hops varieties they no longer use. :)

smart guy...He just developed a strong advocate for his company with a good story, free of charge. Fortuitous call on your part. Maybe I should start calling breweries and make sure they don't have any hops varieties they no longer use. :)

I was already a strong advocate for their company just based on the awesome brews they make... and hell yes I would call breweries in your area for similar leavings. Avail yourself of the Spirit of Craft Brewing!

I had a local brewery give me several cases of there bomber bottles just cause they didn't need them. Its always nice to get free stuff

Mendocino Brewing is awesome. I stopped in there on my way through Ukiah once, and I can get their beer all the way out here in Georgia (!!).

It's even more awesome that they're supportive of homebrewers. I love that most craft breweries don't forget where they (probably) came from.

Mendocino Brewing is awesome. I stopped in there on my way through Ukiah once, and I can get their beer all the way out here in Georgia (!!).

It's even more awesome that they're supportive of homebrewers. I love that most craft breweries don't forget where they (probably) came from.

I spent a year working in MD/VA a couple years ago and was able to buy their beers there. It was nice to have something from home and a bit of a luxury to have such a great craft brew distributed nationally.

Back