A strong Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHomebrewConnection

Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on this high alcohol Pale Ale... I brewed it once and it was pretty good, but as I sit down to try again, I think its missing a little something. Any ideas?

11 lbs CO Base Pale Two Row Malt
1 lb. Caramel Crystal Malt 40L
1 lb. Light Bavarian Candi Sugar (to up OG)
8 oz. Maltodextrin (to blend flavors)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

1⁄4 oz. Chinook Pellet Hops - AA 11%
1⁄2 oz. Perle Pellet Hops – AA 7%
1.75 oz. Cascade Pellet Hops - AA 5.0%
1 oz. Cascade Whole Hops – AA 5.0%

1 Vial WLP001

Here was my process...

Mashed grains with the following schedule:
Mix grains in 3 1⁄2 gallons of 155 ̊ F water and rest for 20 minutes (without heat). Heat grains to 160 ̊ F and rest for 20 minutes. Heat grains to 165 ̊ F and rest for 20 minutes. Sparge grains with five gallons of 170 ̊ F water (Collect 6.5 gallons).

Bring the wort to a boil and then add: 1⁄4 oz. Chinook Pellet Hops and 1⁄2 oz Perle Pellet Hops for 60min. 45 Minutes into the boil add 1.75 oz. Cascade pellet hops and 1 tsp Irish Moss. Stop boil at 60 minutes and add 3⁄4 oz. Cascade whole leaf hops. Cooled wort to 75 F, aerate heavily, pitch yeast.

What do you think it's missing? Yeast flavor? Aroma? Mouthfeel? You could sub in a lb of wheat for a lb of 2row. Also maybe try using Maris Otter for some or all of your base grain. Another option is continental pilsner malt. Your hops look fine. You could dryhop also to help your hop aroma.

Do the hops seem muttled? If so you could try adding some gypsum to help make them pop.

I think the overall mouth feel could be improved and I like the suggestion of using or at least subbing some maris otter into the mix. The hops tasted alright but I'm concerned if I increase the maltiness it may overpower the hop balance... The yeast question could maybe be the problem, any suggestions for a more specific yeast for pale ale rather than plain 'ol California Ale WLP001?
Thanks

Other good yeasts I've used in pale ales are WLP002, Pacman, and US-05. all clean yeasts and add just a tad something extra.

If mouthfeel is the main issue then the first thing I would look at is the step mash, maybe just mash at 155F-158F?

The candi sugar wont be doing anything much. Just sub that for more pale malt or a specialty malt. If sweetness is about right than I wouldnt want to add any more crystal or 'sweet' malts because as you said it would lose its balance.

You have all been very helpful! Using some of your suggestions and BeerSmith I think I've got myself a quality recipe! I'll let you all know how it turns out.

The candi sugar wont be doing anything much. Just sub that for more pale malt or a specialty malt. If sweetness is about right than I wouldnt want to add any more crystal or 'sweet' malts because as you said it would lose its balance.

Or use cane sugar, it's much cheaper and gives the same results as the clear candi sugar.

Try adding a 1/2lb of honey malt, IDK about "mouthfeel" but it really picks up the flavor profile. I have recently started adding honey malt to all my IPA recipes and I think it should work with a pale ale also. The last batch of Arrogant Bastard (AG) was a big hit with everyone who tried it, compared to the original recipe I found on here(which the same folks drank). The last batch I made 2 weeks ago had 1lb of HM and it was the Mad Hatters, I high hopes for this one. But this is my humble opinion only!

Back