A spider crawled into my fermentation lock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
No kiddin'! And this isn't some dank, dark basement, it's our kitchen, which as far as I'm aware is not exactly crawling with spiders... Check it out:

2011-04-29_13-50-43_476.jpg

I think it died. Probably crawled in then got hit with a blast of CO2, eh? hahaha, whoops.

No worries, as it's on the outside-side of the water, so no real risk of contamination. (I suppose he could fall in, but I've tapped it a few times and he seems pretty stuck.) I'm probably going to swap out the fermentation lock for a freshly sanitized one anyway when I take a planned gravity reading this Sunday. Just thought it was funny.

Ya you should just give up on that batch and send to me for disposal. I'll forgo the disposal charge this time. :D

^ What he said :D

The spider's on the correct side of the water, RDWHAHB.

If the spider were on the other side, that would only be another source of protein. RDWHAHB.

It woulda been interesting if it DID get through the water barrier. But my question is, did you lose the COVER that's supposed to keep things like that from getting in the opening on top? A piece of tinfoil, maybe with a pinhole would probably work.

But my question is, did you lose the COVER that's supposed to keep things like that from getting in the opening on top? A piece of tinfoil, maybe with a pinhole would probably work.

Didn't know there was supposed to be one. My fermentation locks were procured in the following fashion: I was over at friend's house who brews, and mentioned I had bought a carboy from my old boss but still needed a little more equipment. He said, "I'll be right back," and returned from his basement with a handful of various fermentation locks.

I'll try the tinfoil thing just to be safe. Though, if I had done that this time, then I wouldn't have this entertaining picture...

Re: The name. We sort of already had one, because while I was in the middle of brewing it started snowing. In mid-April. So we were thinking "Spring Storm."

SWMBO is agreeing that a spider-y name might be better now though :)

Didn't know there was supposed to be one. My fermentation locks were procured in the following fashion: I was over at friend's house who brews, and mentioned I had bought a carboy from my old boss but still needed a little more equipment. He said, "I'll be right back," and returned from his basement with a handful of various fermentation locks.

I'll try the tinfoil thing just to be safe. Though, if I had done that this time, then I wouldn't have this entertaining picture...

The normally look like this-

s-type_airlock_thumbnail.gif

I've lost a few caps myself, so I know tinfoil works.

Revvy, stop telling us about how you're protecting yourself from the beer-stealing aliens :D

Aliens steel beer?!?!? I'm leaving work to get home to that Hefe in the primary before they get to it. And to think I just thought I drank a lot. ;)

Back