A SmAsH LAGER?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
Hey a Newb with a Newb curious ?..
Im gathering my components to start a Lager and wondering if their is a Smash Lager recipe i could try first to get my feet wet with or i should say Frosty Glass.

Also if Mash and Ferm temps could be provided much appreciated!!.
THANKS

Pilsners are pilsener malt and saaz hops traditionally. But for a first lager I recommend an Oktoberfest because it won't highlight flaws as much as a pilsner would.

Are you yet ready to:

1) ferment at lager temps (48-52*F)?

2) pitch lots of yeast (double what you would use for an ale)?

If so, a Vienna/Amarillo SMASH is rather tasty. If not, do it as an ale.

Are you yet ready to:

1) ferment at lager temps (48-52*F)?

2) pitch lots of yeast (double what you would use for an ale)?

If so, a Vienna/Amarillo SMASH is rather tasty. If not, do it as an ale.

1. Almost ready,my fridge is downstairs and i just ordered my Stc1000 temp controller should have it by wednesday and by weekend i should have up and going for a batch.
2.I happen to have less than half lb of S05 on hand but i would assume use that for carbing up if need be.

Could i sub the Vienna for 2Row with any hop for a smash lager?

1. Almost ready,my fridge is downstairs and i just ordered my Stc1000 temp controller should have it by wednesday and by weekend i should have up and going for a batch.
2.I happen to have less than half lb of S05 on hand but i would assume use that for carbing up if need be.

Could i sub the Vienna for 2Row with any hop for a smash lager?

Vienna yes. It will mash fine and convert on its own. Take your pick on flavoring hops. Saaz or Pearle might be nice.

Munich and Hallertau is pretty good, I've brewed it twice. I shot for a mash temp around ~153F and I did hop additions at 60min, 40min, and once even at flameout. Don't remember exactly how much hop I added, I know the one where I added some at flameout was good but had a little too much hop character, while the one without could have used a bit more. I think it came out to around 5%-6% abv. Fermented between 49F-55F using saflager 34/70 and gave it a bit of a D-rest at the end. I think I lagered for about 3 months.

Latest posts

Back