A Small Success Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFox93

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my recent success in harvesting yeast from a bottle for the first time. I'd read a bit about this and peeked through a few "How-to's." But did't dive deep into it. So this is my success the lazy way.

I started with a bottle of Boulevard's Frequent Flyer IPA and notice the dregs at the bottom and thought this would be my excuse. Poured the beer gently of the dregs and re-capped the bottle as I let it warm to room temp and boiled up an ounce or two of wort. Put that in the bottle and slapped a bubbler airlock on it. Every three days or so I added a couple of ounces of wort until I was at half bottle. At half bottle I let it ferment for only a day and stuck it in the fridge. After two days in the fridge I transferred slowly to another bottle. Once the bottle was full I stepped up to a 1 liter starter. Just a couple days ago I pitched that starter in a 1 gallon pale ale and it is fermenting vigorously as I type this. I did sample as I went and the each step did taste more and more like beer so I'm sure the yeast is working ok. I'm just starting to have doubts about my recipe. I basically just used leftovers from previous stuff. Primarily 2-row and munich, I added some honey because I panicked about having too much of a bread flavor from the munich and I used fuggles and calypso hops. I'm just excited that my "proof of concept" worked.

Congrats on your Billions of new babies. It is fun to do it sometimes.

Latest posts

Back