A slight Onion smell to my Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rld04

Reaction score
I'm a first time hop grower and got a 8oz dried hop harvest off my 1st year Cascades. The hops have a slight onion smell to them. Do dry whole hops smell a bit different than pellet hops or what? I have centennials getting close to harvest and want to make sure the smell is not a sign of me doing something wrong with the process! Any help would be great!

I grow Cascade, Centennial and CTZ. I've never smelt anything like onions in mine. Cascade should smell grapefruity/citrusy. Did you dry them quickly? I use a dehydrator and it usually about two days to dry mine. If I have more than I can fit in the dehydrator, I spread the hops out on a big screen elevated off the floor and run a fan on low to start the drying process untill I can get them in the dehydrator.

I dried them on screens over two days. They had that slight smell even on the bine prior to picking them. Could that onion smell come from leaving them on the bine too long?

I seriously doubt it. You'll know if you leave them on there too long because they will turn brown. I actually look for a little browning in the bottom tips of mine as a sign of ripening. Usally if there are a few that are starting to brown, then a lot of hops are ready to harvest. Maybe you're just not used to the smell? Brew a batch of beer with them and see what you think.

Maybe there's residuals in the dirt? Or did u use home made compost? Try making a hop tea and see if you can taste the onion.... Can't hurt to try.

My first nugget harvest (off a 2 year old crown) has a grassy/hay aroma. They certainly smell like nugget hops, and I know I didn't pick them too early (browning, sounds/feels like I'm squeezing a wad of tissue paper when a cone is squeezed) -- but there is a lingering grassiness. So it goes. I'll probably make a hop tea the first time I use them as suggested above... as long as they taste right, I'll use 'em.

did you use neem oil on them? i hear that stuff, while safe, will hang on crops and can impart some flavor to them. plus, it smells darn onion-y to me.

No Neem Oil used. I tried the tea thing, but did not get much flavor. Maybe a little grassy like? Do I risk using them or not?

rld04 said:
No Neem Oil used. I tried the tea thing, but did not get much flavor. Maybe a little grassy like? Do I risk using them or not?

Were they fresh or dried when you tried to tea?

They were dried. I dont know...slight grassy, veggy tastes. not much citrus, cascade taste. I threw in two oz. of them into a pale ale this weekend. We will see what kinda taste I get!

rld04 said:
They were dried. I dont know...slight grassy, veggy tastes. not much citrus, cascade taste. I threw in two oz. of them into a pale ale this weekend. We will see what kinda taste I get!

Difinately keep us posted. I wonder how it turns out.

Dude- I notice your a neighbor! Why don't you swing by our place and compare. I've got thousands of plants (literally). The Cascades out in the trials are loaded. Click my profile for info. See Ya!

Latest posts

Back